𝟪| 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖽𝖾𝖺𝗍𝗁 𝗈𝖿 𝖺 𝖿𝗋𝗂𝖾𝗇𝖽

CHAPTER EIGHT:

THE DEATH OF A FRIEND

BUCKY BARNES' SCREAMS had been stuck in Steve Rogers' mind ever since he had witnessed his best friend falling to his death on the moving train that belonged to Hydra

BUCKY BARNES' SCREAMS had been stuck in Steve Rogers' mind ever since he had witnessed his best friend falling to his death on the moving train that belonged to Hydra. The two had been fighting against some Hydra agents when Bucky had been blasted through the wall by a weapon, making him hold on for dear life.

Unfortunately, just as Captain America had tried to reach out and grab his best friend, the railing that Bucky had been holding on to had broke and both the object and the man had fallen down the cliff as his screams echoed right into Steve's ears. Much to their luck, they had been able to capture Johann Schmidt's right hand man.

For the past couple of weeks, Captain America and his team had been able to take down many Hydra bases and all the plans was being filmed for people to watch in the theaters. Y/n remembers when she was with her sister and Colonel Phillips when the camera zoomed in on Steve's little compass, revealing he had a picture of her in there.

At the moment, the sun had set as the clouds blended in with the night sky while Y/n found herself entering a burnt down bar. She could hear a distant radio voice, showing that someone was here and she had an idea of who it was. Making sure to not trip on her heels, she ventured in the direction when she heard glasses clinking.

As she got closer, the sound of the radio voice became more clearer just when she walked through a doorway. Right in front of her, Steve was sitting at a small table with his back facing her. Tears stained his cheeks just when he heard her footsteps, making him look to see who was here. Y/n watched with a frown as he grabbed the glass on the table, filling it with alcohol.

"Dr. Erskine said that the serum wouldn't just affect my muscles, it would affect my cells." Steve speaks up as he fills his glass. "Create a protective system of regeneration and healing. Which means I can't get drunk. Did you know that?"

"Your metabolism burns four times faster than most. He thought it could be one of the side effects." Y/n states.

While she was speaking, she bend down and grabbed a chair that was laying on the floor and put it up on it's legs before sitting down on his right side, facing him. She placed her hands on her lap as she gave him a gentle smile. Last time they had spoke, she was hurt after hearing he had kissed another woman, but now he was hurt and she wanted to be there for him.

"It wasn't your fault." Y/n tells him, shaking her head.

"Did you read the report?" Steve asks, receiving a nod that makes him scoff. "Then you know that's not true."

"You did everything you could." Y/n argues.

The man doesn't say anything as he stares down at the glass in his large hand, the alcohol swaying around through the glass cup. He could feel her eyes on her and in the corner of his eye, he noticed the frown she had on her lips at the sight of the state he was in.

"Did you believe in him? Did you respect him?" Y/n questions, and the silence gave her her answer. "Then quit blaming yourself. Allow Bucky the dignity of his choice. He damn well must have thought you were worth it."

"I'm going after Schmidt." Steve declares after a moment. "I'm not gonna stop until all of Hydra is dead or captured."

Y/n rests her hand on his, giving it a small squeeze. "You won't be alone."

At the feeling of her skin touching his, he looks up to make their eyes meet. After a moment, he moves his hand so his palm his touching hers and he wraps his fingers around her hand, surprising her at first. And for just a little bit, the two sat in a silence as they held one another's hands.

* * *

The agent had been able to convince the super soldier from leaving the burnt down bar and head back to the base where they could make plans to take down Johann Schmidt and Hydra all together. The team were grieving over the death of Bucky Barnes, but everyone knew they were just as determined to defeat Hydra with their captain.

At the moment, the team could be seen in the meeting room as they all sat around the large table. Y/n was sitting beside Peggy, occasionally glancing at Steve, who was sitting at the end of the table. He had yet to say a word, leaving Colonel Phillips to say most. The older man could be seen standing in front of the large map, guiding everything around.

"Johann Schmidt belongs in a bughouse. He thinks he's a god, and he's willing to blow up half the world to prove it, starting with the USA." Colonel Phillips informs.

"Schmidt's working with powers beyond our capabilities." Howard adds, sitting down at the table. "He gets across the Atlantic, he will wipe out the entire Eastern Seaboard in an hour."

Most of the people, especially the Howling Commandos, turned to look at their captain to see if he was gonna say anything. However, Steve didn't look at any of them as he placed the paper he had been looking at down on the surface of the table.

"How much time we got?" Gabe Jones, a member of the howling commandos, asks.

"According to my new best friend, under twenty-four hours." Colonel Phillips replies.

"Where is he now?" Another member of the team questions.

"Hydra's last base is here." Colonel Phillips announces as he points at the picture he was holding before placing it on the table. "In the Alps, five hundred feet below the surface."

"So what are we supposed to do? I mean, it's not like we can just knock on the front door." Jim Morita comments, taking a look at the photo.

"Why not?" Steve speaks up.

At the sound of him finally speaking, everyone took their eyes off the colonel and all of them turned to look at the man at the other end of the table. Steve didn't look at any of them as he stared down at the table, revenge for his best friend and the hundreds of people Hydra has tortured and killed on his mind.

"That's exactly what we're gonna do." Steve concludes.

Right as he finished speaking, he looked up from the table and at the Howling Commandos. His eyes watched as they all looked at one another before nodding in agreement at him. Tearing his gaze away from his team, he looked towards her, and he stared at her lips when she gave him an encouraging smile.