Made with love

Vince’s slender fingers gently took the jacket off a vinyl and placed the disk into his record player in the living room, he let it play as he began to hum along to the song, ‘ Somethin’ Stupid ’  by Frank and Nancy Sinatra.

He walked to the kitchen and rolled the sleeves of his uniform up before opening the refrigerator door and pulling out the small container he had put in the night prior.

The marinade inside was drained into the sink and a pan was set aside as well beginning to heat. The cut of meat was placed on his clean counter surface before he took jars of condiments from the overhead cabinets and set them on the counter as well.

He sprinkled a mixture of pepper and salt over both sides and added butter to the pan before placing the cut inside, finely chopping green onion and throwing it inside as well.

Vince placed it in a shallow container when it was done and set it aside, turning his attention back to the pan where he added lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and a bit more butter, mixing it in together until it thickened so he could add in minced parsley and chives.

The sauce was tilted into the container and flowed over the steak, Vince covered the container and quickly washed the pan and knife. The counter was wiped down with a cleaning rag and everything put placed back in their places. He was oddly happy today, his cooking was heartfelt and he found he enjoyed cooking this morning.

He put his keys in his pocket and picked the container up in his left hand, walking out to the living room where he took the needle off of the vinyl with his right hand and was about to walk out of his apartment before he paused and went back to his room, taking the picture of Rody and putting it into his pocket.

Only after did he go down to La Gueule de Saturne to open up for the cooks since they went in at 11am and waiters at 12.

A few minutes before 12, Rody walked in through the front door of La Gueule de Saturne with a heavy sigh, his eyes were a bit puffy and red, dark circles under them. His uniform was messier than usual as well as his hair, red strands going in almost every direction.

Vince walked out from the kitchen doors, “I'm sorry, We’re not open yet.” He began, stopping when he saw it was Rody. “Oh it's just you.” Vince commented before taking in his appearance “Did you have another nightmare?” He asked.

Rody didn't look at him, he couldn't after overthinking his find last night so he just nodded.

“How much did you sleep? You haven't eaten yet have you?” Vince asked, pulling Rody into the kitchen and to his office.

“I don't know, I stayed awake last night watching a show and I was just lucky enough to wake up in time to make it here” Rody replied, pulling his hand away and sitting on the chair Vince offered him.

“Good, I made you something since I had a feeling you weren't going to take care of yourself” Vince said bluntly, taking the container from the table in the corner and setting it on the desk in front of Rody with a small knife and fork.

“Uh, yeah, thanks” Rody muttered, he braced himself for the bitter taste that he always got from Vince's food. There was no way he was going to decline the food in front of Vince, who knew how he might react if he did. Rody opened the lid and took the utensils, cutting a bit of the meat off and taking it to his lips.

The bitter taste from before was non-existent. The meat was tender, melting on his tongue and the sauce covering it was warm and rich. Rody found it was the first time he found himself liking the food Vince gave him.

“Did you add something special this time?” Rody asked as he took another, larger, piece of the steak.

“Not really, I just tried to enjoy myself when I made this in the morning… I've been experimenting with a new kind of meat recently” Vince replied “Why? Is it too much, too chewy, tough?”

Rody shook his head and swallowed. “No. It's good, really good… it tastes right this time” He said, poking at the meat.

Vince gave an unusual small smile and sat down in his own chair behind his desk. He watched Rody eat for a bit, looking his messy appearance over, finding it just a bit endearing that Rody was always such a mess.

That's when Vince noticed a new detail, there was a black ribbon tied securely around Rody’s wrist that wasn't there before, he thought about how tacky it looked.

“What's that?” Vince asked, raising a brow as his smile faded, wondering who it belongs to and why it was so important as for Rody to want it with him everywhere.

Rody looked down at his wrist and avoided Vince's eyes. “Just a ribbon.”

Vince gave a small ‘hm’ that sounded annoyed. “You already got a new girlfriend?” Vince asked, brows furrowing and a cold expression on his face.

Rody shook his head. “No. It's just a ribbon, you don't need to read too much into it, Vince” He replied, getting a bit standoff-ish.

Vince looked to be caught off-guard by the hostility in Rody's voice. “Finish up quickly and get to work” Vince ordered, turning around in his chair to have his back facing Rody.

Rody silently ate the rest and put the utensils into the container before standing up and walking to the door, swinging it open.

“I've decided to keep the freezer open now so you can have your little meltdowns. Just don't contaminate anything” Vince said before Rody left.

The door closed behind Rody, Vince kept his position and took out the half of the locket that had Rody's picture, turning it over in his hand and running his thumb over the details with a sigh.