Late Night Visits

Rody had to rush back home to pick up a small box that contained Manon's things before walking up to the door of Mr and Mrs. Vacher’s house.

Mr. Vacher, a tall man with pale skin and blonde hair as well as chocolate brown eyes, opened the door. There were dark circles under his eyes that paired perfectly with his still watery eyes as he gave Rody his best sad smile, opening the door further to show Mrs. Vacher, a smaller woman with shoulder-length hair the same color as Manon's and hazel eyes in the living room, tending to a small potted succulent on the coffee table.

Rody returned the smile and stepped inside. “Afternoon… I brought the things.” He said, carrying the box to the coffee table and kneeling to set it beside Mrs. Vacher.

Mrs. Vacher's gaze rested on the box, she lifted her trembling hands to it and hesitated, as if scared to open it.

Mr. Vacher sat on the floor beside her and placed his hands on hers, helping her lift the lid and place it to the side.

Inside were two silver rings, a brown and white yarn bracelet with an ‘M’ woven into it, some of Manon's ribbons and a couple pictures of her.

Mrs. Vacher soon started sobbing as she saw her daughter in the pictures, Mr. Vacher's arm wrapping around her shoulder.

“I hope it's alright that I kept the pictures where Manon and I were together…” Rody said in a quiet voice. 

Mrs. Vacher nodded and held every item closely. “Thank you…” She managed to choke out.

There was a respectful silence, no one really knowing what to say for a few minutes.

“Umm… Do you guys know the last place she was?” Rody asked.

There were a few sniffles from Mrs. Vacher. “Last time we talked over the phone, Marianne mentioned she was going out to eat with a friend… she didn't tell us the friend's name…” Her voice broke just a bit near the end.

Rody nodded slightly and thought for a bit. “I'll ask around every restaurant if anyone has seen her… Again, I promise I'll figure out where she is and bring her back to you, so please hang in there.” That was all he asked for, that they would be patient with him.

“We appreciate it, Rody… we do, but take care of yourself too, don't let this wear you down like it has with us." Mr. Vacher replied, giving him a grateful look.

Coffee was drunk together and stories of Manon told as a comfort before Rody left back to his apartment.

The rustling of tossing and turning filled the living room, Rody just couldn't sleep. He kept thinking about who Manon's mysterious friend could be, finding them could be what he needed to find her.

Where could she be? What could they have done to her? How was she? Still alive hopefully… but… it's been too long… she might be dead.

Rody slapped and scolded himself internally for thinking of that possibility, how could he think that?

A few tears trailed down his moonlit cheeks as he reached for the telephone, his eyes squinting to see the numbers.

Vince was sound asleep in bed when the ringing from his telephone woke him up. He groaned and sat up, rubbing his tired eyes before standing and begrudgingly making his way into the hallway.

The telephone sat ringing at the end of the corridor. Once the receiver was picked up and placed by Vince's ear, he hearda small voice speak.

“Vince?” Rody's breaking voice came through.