Fragments

TW:Mention of animal mutilation, mention of SH, blood.

Vincent looked up, his eyes staring back at him in a reflection. The mirror in front of him showed his childhood bedroom around him and tears streaming down the soft tear-stained cheeks of a young child.

Looking down at small round hands made him frustrated, he always seemed to come back to this moment that was so bitterly etched into his mind.

His short legs lifted his small frame off the floor as he sniffled and walked to the wooden door that towered over him, each soft step seeming to echo inside his mind even if they wouldn't really make a sound.

This moment always played out the same, he would walk to the kitchen that out-looked the front yard and see the same scene; his neighbor who was his only friend burying a small shoe box in the dirt.

But how could it be Vincent's fault? He only did what he thought would make his friend happy.

How was Vincent supposed to know that wasn't what she meant when she said she wished she could keep her bunny small forever? Besides, he didn't let it hurt, just snapped its neck before gutting it and stuffing it, placing its little heart beside its eternal body in a gift box wrapped with a bow.

Vincent had been yelled at for that, his own parents looking at him with fear and disgust. That incident had made his family have to leave town, moving away several towns over to start again.

It seemed history had a funny way of repeating itself, surely his parents would understand his love.

There was so much thought placed into his gift for them, after all, his mother said that there was no love more sincere than that of family.

The day his parents were out was spent with artistry, feeling quite proud of himself as he stepped back to witness his masterpiece.

The floor of his parent's bedroom was painted with crimson from his own arms, for what could be more heartfelt than offering them the blood from his own heart?

On their bed he had placed their favorite sets of clothes on their respective sides, two knives wedged into the mattress where their hearts would be in those clothes. They would stay together in life and death as their vows had said.

Vincent sat on the floor and played with the crimson pool, shaping it into a heart.

He beamed when he heard the front door open, running out to his parents with excitement.

Mr. and Mrs. Charbonneau stopped dead in their tracks when they saw Vincent's arms and bloody clothes. Mrs. Charbonneau went pale and she simply stared at the boy wide-eyed.

Vincent dragged his parents to their bedroom, his mother screamed and father gagged as they ran back the way they came.

Confusion washed onto Vincent's face, what went wrong? Was it not enough?

His small steps carried him to the front door where he saw his mother on her knees crying and his father throwing up. A knot grew in his throat and Vincent began to wail.

Mr. and Mrs. Charbonneau never looked at Vincent again. Sending him to live with his grandparents which was as far as they could have sent him.

Vincent's heart stung as much as his arms now, all he had done was love them yet they sent him away. Away to a place where he could only be perfect, never himself and never happy.

-

Reality called Vincent back to the freezer where he sat, turning rapidly and throwing up into a bucket with bones and uneatable animal organs.

The air seemed to suffocate him, his lungs refusing to fill as he shakily crawled to the door, stopping as he heard the cooks were still just beyond the door in the kitchen.

Vincent shook and held himself as he leaned against the heavy metal door, his breath hitching as his puffs of breath came out a visible white fog in the cold air around him.

His realization only sparked again when he opened his eyes to pure silence, his skin was so much colder than usual and his breathing was oh so slow.

Vincent reached for the door handle and pushed the door open, everything was dark and abandoned. He could barely crawl out with how stiff the cold had made his body, the daylight was long gone as his bones began to warm up.

Labored breathing and heavy steps up his stairs seemed to go on for hours before he finally got to the door of his apartment, pushing it open and almost falling onto the floor.

Gathering what strength he had left after everything, Vincent got to his bedroom. He limped past a mirror where he got a glimpse of himself, his skin gray and paler than usual and his white uniform stained with God knows what.

Some sort of groan and sigh combination came out of his throat as he opened his wardrobe with shaking hands, the doors opening violently as he took out a pair of fresh pajamas.

There was no way he was going to shower right now, it would have to wait until tomorrow when his bones were fully thawed. Vincent pulled his clothes off and hurled them into his wardrobe, making something small and shiny klink down to the floor.

Vincent closed the wardrobe and dressed before he looked down at what it was, the half of the locket with Rody's picture staring right back at him.

It seemed every emotion flashed before Vincent's eyes but the ones that stayed were despair and anger.

It took everything for Vincent not to curse out Rody's picture.

Or that's what he convinced himself before picking it up and cradling it between his palms.

There was a thud as Vincent's body fell onto the mattress, too tired to crawl beneath the covers.

The half locket was placed on the pillow next to Vincent's, his right hand covering it as if to protect it from the outside world as his eyes closed.

“Please don't hate me.” Vince's hoarse voice whispered into the darkness.