Force Fed

There was a sudden coldness on his shoulder that made Roddy's eyes begin to open. The first thing he noticed was a part of a blanket that seemed to have dropped from his shoulder from his arm moving, the second thing he noticed was his arm that had made his hand reach towards another paler and larger one.

Vince's cold hand enveloped Rody's warm one, thinking Rody was asleep still.

Rody thought of how they contrasted so much to Manon's hands, oh how he missed holding her hand like this… He allowed himself that moment of respite, closing his eyes and suddenly the hand on his molded to a smaller and warmer one in his imagination.

He felt foolish for a few seconds, thinking about pulling his hand away but he just couldn't, his eyes and heart burned with the sadness inside of him.

Silent tears spilled onto Vince’s shoulder as Rody yearned to spend the rest of his days in that headspace until he became one with the ground.

Vince had long realized Rody was awake but didn't want to tear him from his safe little fantasy. He ran his long and slender fingers over the back of Rody's hand, over the knuckles and up to the wrist before sliding down once more and resting it, exhaling a breath before leaning back and closing his eyes from the sun spilling into them.

It was only when Rody sobbed, shaking slightly, that Vince made his interaction more involved. Vince pulled Rody in closer, hugging him to his chest to let him sob.

Rody balled the fabric of Vince’s shirt under him as his sobs and his turned into wails.

Vince simply held him, offering nothing more than his presence.
No
Minutes passed before Rody pushed himself away and stood, clearing his throat. “Do you want breakfast?” He asked as he wiped his tears away.

“Breakfast would be nice” Vince replied,then his eyes narrowing as he recalled having cleaned the burnt stovetop. “Wait!”

He rushed to Rody and stopped him from picking up a pan. “I'll cook.” He said.

“Vince, I'm not a child, I can cook.” Rody replied.

Vince looked down at him and shook his head, putting the pan down and gently pushing Rody by his shoulders back to the couch. “Sit.”

Rody sighed and sat down with his arms crossed while Vince went to wash his hands.

Vince walked to the fridge and opened it, not expecting to find much of use, though his attitude shifted. “You… never ate anything I gave you?” He asked when he saw the food he had been making for Rody to take home from the restaurant just sitting there, some even looking moldy.

Rody snapped his head up and groaned, he had forgotten to throw it out.

“I… no… I'm sorry.” He said quietly.

“Why? And don't lie to me” Vince asked, slamming the fridge door.

Rody looked a bit taken aback. “I… I don't know.”

“You don't know?” Vince asked incredulously, crossing his arms. “How the fuck do you not know?”

Tears pricked Rody's eyes as he was already in a fragile state of mind. “I don't know, Vince! I don't know… It never felt right… something about it just unsettles me.”

Vince narrowed his eyes and rolled them before he opened the fridge, he threw out the spoiled food and took a plate from the fridge, putting it in the microwave. “You're eating at least one of them. You have to.”

Rody furrowed his brows. “Why? I don't want to… I already ate what you made me last time in your office”

“You just have to.” Vince answered. “I need you to, I need to see you eat it… I need you to appreciate it… it's made specially for you, Rody.” He added as he began to scratch at his neck nervously, watching the spinning plate in the yellow light.

Rody couldn't help but feel a strange kind of dread in the way Vince said those words, deciding not to speak.

The microwave beeped and Vince rushed to take the plate of little rolls of meat in a savory sauce to Rody, sitting down next to him and bringing his hand to his mouth, scratching at the skin around his nails anxiously.

Rody looked at the food and felt a knot in his stomach, the food looked perfect. “Vince, I'm not hungry.”

Vince furrowed his brows. “Bullshit.” He called out, picking up the fork and piercing the meat roll, raising it to Rody mouth.

Rody shook his head. “Vince, I don't wa-” He began, but was cut off by the fork invading his mouth. Vince closed Rody's jaw and took the fork out, leaving the food inside.

The food tasted good in every way but something inplaceable about it made Rody want to spit it out, though he knew he couldn't with Vince right next to him.

The food was minimally chewed before Rody forced it down his throat.

He looked at Vince from the corner of his eyes and saw an unnerving smile plastered into his face, an usual and starling one that sent a chill through his bones.

Rody thought of crying as he did up to drink water, needing to drown out the taste it left in his mouth.

“What? It wasn't good? I was sure I did everything perfectly” Vince's words chimed out behind him, though Rody didn't know if Vince was genuinely concerned or if he was amused.

Rody quickly gulped down another glass of water before speaking up. “What kind of meat was it?” He asked.

Vince was quiet for a bit. “Pig.”

“I don't like pork” Rody said, lying so Vince wouldn't give him whatever that was again.

“Oh” Was all the response he got from Vince.

There was a long silence.

“I need to open up the restaurant. Get ready and I'll see you there” Vince said before standing, putting on his shoes that were left by the door and leaving.

Rody breathed out a sigh of relief, instantly marching over to the plate and throwing the rest of the contents out into the trash.