24

A/N I said id finish this story and I meant it! I haven't had motivation to write, life has been crazy. but ive been going back and editing parts of this story. I will finish this book, if it's the last thing I do. I really plan to have this book published one day. thanks for ur patience!

please don't be a ghost reader, votes and comments are what motivate me to keep going with this book. I love hearing your thoughts!

Chapter 24

The hustle of wedding preparations echoed in the air. One sunny afternoon, Montgomery called me over, presenting me with a choice between two tie colors. My chance to escape this town was getting closer and closer, wrapped in the folds of satin and the scent of blooming flowers. Maybe this would be the opportunity to help me determine if that's the life I had been yearning for.

The confirmed wedding date in May. Montgomery insisted it was a long time coming. When I asked him if he planned to invite Mom, there was a moment of silence on the other end of the line, his breaths unsteady. Throughout my childhood, I learned to decipher Montgomery's coded language, and his hesitant "I'll think about it" triggered a familiar understanding: Mom wouldn't be invited.

The reason? A simple oversight—Mom forgot to RSVP for the wedding.

The last I heard from her was a picture she sent of the infamous Statue of Liberty. My response? Silence. She doesn't just get to parade her new life in New York, not when it's a dream I've let slip through my fingers. I think she caught on, given that her texts dwindled to monthly check-ins.

That week, I found myself amidst a sea of white lace and satin, surrounded by the flutter of veils and the soft rustle of tulle. Montgomery extended an invitation for me to join him and his fiancée, Maia. Embarking on the journey to find the perfect suit, Montgomery teamed up with Miles, leaving me to navigate the sea of dresses in the lively company of Maia.

Maia was a whirlwind of energy, her laughter contagious. As we searched for dresses together, she offered candid opinions on each one, playfully critiquing frills or extravagant designs. Each dress became a canvas for her vibrant personality. Despite her genuine enthusiasm, I couldn't shake a pang of insecurity. The idea of being so carefree and unrestrained felt like a distant dream. Memories of the last time I wore a dress lingered in my mind like an unwelcome guest. It was during my first date with Harry, and I remember feeling uncomfortable, as if the fabric clung to me like an imposter's disguise.

I thought back to our first date, the nervous excitement, the feeling of wanting to impress him so badly. Did he already Genevieve in mind, even then? Was I just a pawn in his game of deception?

I was immediately captivated by Maia. How could I not be? She brought out a side of Montgomery that I rarely saw—a carefree and lively side. The weight of responsibility often turned him into the solemn, brooding older brother I was used to. But Maia's vibrant presence had a way of reigniting the carefree spark he'd lost along the way. For both of us, it felt like a welcome breath of fresh air.

Amidst all of this grandeur, Maia was a flurry of activity, spinning around in a cloud of tulle, her laughter resonating like wind chimes in a light wind. She went from rack to rack, her fingers moving slowly as she traced the sequins and needlework on each gown.

The vibrant hues of the bridesmaid dresses, hideous shades of purple, seemed to mock my own insecurities. As I waded through a sea of dresses, Maia turned to me then, a mischievous glint in her blue eyes.

"What about you, Max? When's your turn?"

I chuckled nervously, not expecting such a direct question. "Not anytime soon. Love's a tricky thing."