10

Chapter 10

The smell of chlorine lingered in the air.

Harry was standing in his lane with the rest of the swimmers. I think they were competing with a school from South Warren. The boys, dressed in shorts, awaited the piercing sound of the whistle signaling the start of the one hundred meter fly.

When I arrived, I saw Carson seated beside Genevieve two rows in front of me. He was bundled up in a black beanie and a grey hoodie. Genevieve must've invited him. Earlier, he spotted me and gave a bright, hopeful smile — but I did not return it. His face dropped and after that he did not look in my direction again.

"Hope I didn't miss the game yet." Someone plunked down in the seat next to me.

It was Harry's father. My heart sank to my stomach.

Did Harry know he'd be here?

I was intoxicated by the scent of his powerful cologne. He was dressed formally, as if he had just returned from an important meeting.

Harry glanced over to where I was sitting. His face darkened when he noticed his father seated next to me. The whistle sounded, and Harry was too late to react. He was already in fifth place.

"How've you been, Maxine?" Benjamin asked me. His eyes were glued to his son in the water.

We sat in silence in the wake of exchanging pleasantries. Benjamin watched his son like a hawk the whole time. The game ended, and Harry finished in second place.

Cheers and applause echoed through the room. Genevieve left Carson and flew over to her cousin to congratulate him. He was distraught. I could see it in his face.

Harry never came in second place. Ever.

I rose and made my way to Harry, wrapping my arms around his neck and planting a kiss on the tip of his nose. "You did really well. I'm proud of you. When's your next big meet?"

It was to no use, Harry was inconsolable. My arms fell to my sides as he eased away from my hold. "But that's not enough for him. It's never enough." He swore faintly.

"Come on, Harry, don't let one race define everything. You're still an incredible swimmer. We should go to The Grill, get some burgers, and celebrate your win!"

Harry scowled at me. "What win, Max? God, you're like a little kid sometimes."

My stomach sank. "Well, if going out isn't appealing, we could watch a movie at your place. Who knows, you might even get—"

"You don't get it, Max. It's not about one race. It's about living up to expectations that aren't even mine."

My heart squeezed in my chest. I hated being dismissed. "You still enjoy swimming, right?"

"Used to." His response was curt, and his gaze drifted to the pool where other swimmers continued to celebrate. He turned back to me, and with a scowl, said, "I'm going home. I'll catch you tomorrow."

"I need a ride home. It's dark out." My voice sounded so pathetic, even to my own ears.

Harry huffed, "Fine, I'll drive you home. But just stay out of my way and don't do anything to piss me off. I don't want to say something I'll regret."

I met Carson's gaze over Harry's shoulder. He was loitering by the exit. Everyone had left by then, including Genevieve. Leave it to her to ditch Carson here. He kept looking at me, his eyes constantly shifting from Harry and me. I got tired of his staring, so I excused myself and stalked up to him. "What do you want? Is there a reason you keep staring at me?" I was taking my anger out on him.