13

Chapter 13

The relentless rain outside cast a muggy atmosphere, heightened by the lingering scent of chlorine. Despite the dreary weather, Harry insisted on a pool day, claiming it was essential for his practice. Grudgingly, I accompanied him, settling into a poolside chair to endure his relentless venting.

"I'll show him," Harry muttered, more to himself than to me. "He'll regret ever talking to me like that. Especially in front of you." Harry constantly got mouthy when he was pissed. He'd been at it for the past hour and has yet to grow tired of badmouthing his father. He started to walk along the bottom of the pool and he swept his arms in front of him in clawing motions.

"You look ridiculous."

"Just warming up." Rolling his shoulders, he continued, "Now watch and learn. The breaststroke's all about power."

I pushed stolen sunglasses from Mom up my nose and squinted. As Harry began his display, splashing water haphazardly, my attention waned. After enduring thirty seconds of his routine, I rested my head back on the chair, shutting my eyes.

"Max." I bolted upright and took off my sunglasses. Harry looked like a frustrated parent. "Were you even paying attention?"

"Huh? Wha — yeah, yep. Impressive, babe."

"This is important to me." He scowled, then muttered, "I wouldn't expect you to understand."

That made me bristle. There were a lot of things in life that were important to me, and one of them was getting the fuck out of this town after graduation — although I would never say that out loud to Harry. He would never understand. He owned Belle Haven — why would he ever walk away from that?

"So, how did I do?"

"Very good. My favorite part was when you did the breast stroke."

Harry's scowl deepened. "Why do you always have to be so immature? Fucks sake, Max."

That made me bristle. Many things mattered to me, one of them being a swift exit from this town post-graduation — a sentiment I'd never voice to Harry. Belle Haven was his kingdom; the idea of walking away seemed unfathomable to him.

I tossed the magazine aside and shuffled over to Harry. Squatting to meet his eye level, I said, "I've been watching you for an hour, praising your every move. Can we go now? I'm hungry."

Harry said something under his breath, then swam up over to where I was squatting. "What're you in the mood for?"

"Burgers! And lots and lots of fries."

"Burgers it is."

We both fell silent for a moment before Harry began sliding his fingers through the water. He gathered a handful in his palms and flung it at me.

I squealed, attempting to shield my face. "Harry!" The sting of chlorine intensified in my eyes. "You've soaked me."

"Really, now?" There was something dangerous about the way he grinned at me.

He grabbed a fistful of my shirt and yanked me into the pool. Harry's hearty laughter echoed as I surfaced, sputtering. "Screw..." I gasped for breath. "... you!"