13 | Ashley's Asylum

"Who's this?" Sam grunted.

Michael glanced over his shoulder to catch sight of a small silver photo frame in Sam's hand. Slowly he reached over and took the photo away from Sam, before placing it firmly back on the side.

"That's my little sister."

Sam looked surprised and Michael quickly turned away to avoid eye contact.

"Where is she?"

Michael could hear the hesitation in Sam's question. It was as if he already knew it was a touchy question but he still asked. He wanted to know the answer. That was human nature and it was only natural that Michael didn't want to tell him.

Despite feeling that way he answered Sam honestly. "Gone."

Letting in thoughts of her made him feel wistful. Staring at the blandness of his bedroom wall helped to fortify against the feelings he didn't want.

"She isn't here. That's all you need to know" he added swiftly to ensure Sam didn't ask anymore unwanted questions.

Perhaps he should have told him then. Michael stood in the shadows of Elsie's front porch as the sun set over the house tops. Sam had been gone all day and despite having confidence in Sam he was beginning to worry. It only took one person to look twice and recognize him if he was in a public place. Michael scanned the quiet street again, he didn't expect to find him just by standing there but he couldn't bring himself to go looking either.

Sam was smart enough to stay away from people. Even if he was upset.

He looked down guiltily although no one was around to witness his moment of weakness. He should have told Sam then. That was the only opportunity he ever had, after that their co-existence became only darker. The things he had done, the way he had manipulated Sam in the past seemed only crueler now.

The sensation of guilt thickened to something even worse. Regret.

Regardless of how he felt, nothing could change what he'd done. Nothing could change what had and hadn't happened. Sam was upset again. Michael was the cause and it would happen again and again until one of them left the other. Bad things would always happen around him, and it had little to do with fate.

Michael was under no illusion. He was a monster, he always had been.

Ashley sat with a picture in her hand, one of too many, the rest still tucked away in a photo album on the bed beside her

Ashley sat with a picture in her hand, one of too many, the rest still tucked away in a photo album on the bed beside her. It turned out Michael really did have photos and one very old, very blurry home video of him and a little girl poorly playing a game of hide and seek. Even though he was the one doing the videoing Ashley could tell it was him. On the other hand it was impossible to tell if she was the blue eyed child.

It was true she looked strikingly similar but she still refused to believe that she was this 'Girl' from Michael's past. She searched for the one thing that would confirm it, another photo of her mother but she couldn't see hide nor hair of any motherly figure in any of the photos.