08 | Ashley's Asylum

Just as Ashley was holding some tissue to her cut to dry out the wound, she heard what sounded like a disagreement break out. Creeping over, she crouched by the door to listen in.

"Let's ditch her." She heard Sam growl suddenly. "She's a distraction, too recognisable even with her hair like that." 

Michael kept disconcertingly silent. It seemed to make Sam angry.

"We're wasting time on her." He continued darkly, a fierceness taking hold of his tone. "There's no reason to keep her around. Leaving her here would be the best option, there's no way she could find us. You said so yourself, she's not exactly sharp."

The statement was surprisingly hurtful, but Ashley pushed the sensation away and instead opened the bathroom door a crack, straining painfully to make as little noise as possible. Through a slither of space, she watched Michael fold his arms.

He was seated in the chair Ashley was in a moment ago and he watched Sam pace up and down the small living room, going from wall to wall in just a few angry strides.

Ashley watched him stalk and realised Sam really was a beast incarnate. A poorly tempered animal, wearing the skin of his prey to blend in. With her out of sight, he was even more revolting. There was a vicious edge that completely contradicted the way he appeared to her moments ago. The idea of his sympathy being an act made Ashley's blood boil.

Was he really anything more than a monster good at acting.

Michael, on the other hand, wasn't as easily fooled as Ashley. Unbeknownst to her, Michael could sense from Sam's frustration that he was trying to cut Ashley loose for different reasons. It felt like he was telling the truth and sincerely wanted rid of her because it was best for them but that was the cunning thing about Sam. The earnest of his temper tended to hide the fact that he was lying. Michael had spent too long in his company not to know the difference. Sam was looking out for Ashley and the idea both intrigued and infuriated him.

"You're shouting, do you want her to hear you."

Sam turned on him, his temper flaring up. "I don't care if she hears me! Why is she even here! We agreed to leave her when we switched cars."

Michael tensed. Ashley saw it. From experience, she would say Michael was faster than Sam and had various advantages in a fight but Sam's sheer power was nothing to play down. Sam reminded Ashley of the Incredible Hulk. His strength and temper seemed to go hand in hand and his temper was surely rising now. She couldn't imagine him striking Michael but she'd learnt from past experience not to rule out any possibilities. Both killers were lethally unpredictable.

"Using her was a good idea in the beginning but we don't need her anymore. We've escaped, now she's just a hostage with no value. Why are you keeping her!"

His tone was loud and harsh. Again hurt rippled through Ashley and this time it was harder to ignore.

"So you're saying you don't want to keep her?" Michael interrupted, feigning surprise. "I thought you liked her Sam?"

It was said almost like an accusation. Ashley felt her heart miss a beat at the statement but Sam's expression fell into one of repulsion at the idea.

"Bullshit. You were the one who stopped me from killing her that night."

"Oh really" Michael challenged, choosing now to rise to his feet. "That's funny, when have I ever stopped you from doing anything. The amount of things you did back at the asylum that could have destroyed everything even after I strictly told you.." Michael didn't finish the sentence his annoyance clearly displayed upon his face. He was smiling, chuckling but Ashley could see the spite in his eyes. "You didn't kill her because you didn't want to."