32 | Ashley's Asylum

It felt like revisiting a dream.

Standing in the food court of the fair a variety of stalls, primarily offering messy treats, flanked Ashley on both sides. Crowds of people bustled energetically all around and the surreality of the moment left Ashley detached from her surroundings. Everything moved at an accelerated speed except for her.

The air vibrated with the roar of amusement rides and their loud music. Thrilled screams rang out into the evening from all directions. Every wisp of wind smelt wondrous with the sweet scent of fresh popcorn, sugar doughnuts and fast food.

Bright lights danced upon her pale skin, turning her arms and face every colour of the rainbow. A sad smile found its way onto her lips.

Ashley had never been anywhere like Pandaemonium before nor realistically known of a travelling fair so extravagant. The intoxicating atmosphere urged her to be a child again, to enjoy the treasure trove of sickly treats and breath-taking rides.

Two girls ran past her, they weaved through the crowd with windmills and sparklers held high in the air.

Ashley cast her gaze down to the flattened grass, the light from the sparkler left imprints on her eyes even after the girls disappeared out of sight.

Ashley was a pale wraith who didn't belong among these people, not with the company of wolves she'd brought along.

Everyone present didn't know they were at risk, too blinded by the bright lights and excitable climate to actually look at who walked among them, at least most were. In the line up of stalls, Ashley noticed a boy working the toffee apple stand had spotted her through the crowds. She glanced away at first, plagued with worry that he recognised her from the news but eventually looked back to meet eyes with him once more. Her cheeks glowed hot with blood at the unwanted attention.

It was dark now, but in the glow of the fairy lights hung all around the stalls she could see the boy looked about her age perhaps a little younger. She smiled on impulse at him in an attempt to appear normal and friendly. He gave her one back. It was a nice smile.

A firm hand gripped her shoulder from behind, Ashley quickly dropped her eyes and her smile waned instantly. The boy frowned at being abruptly shut out and tried to capture her gaze again, instead he locked eyes with the guy standing behind her. His expression hardened at the severely unfriendly look he received.

Michael fixed the stranger with a dark, unhealthy glower. It appeared he was attempting to catch Ashley's attention and Michael found that fascinating. It interested him so much he wanted to go over and have a chat with him.

Sam sauntered over from the side and casually shoved an oversized pink teddy bear into Ashley's face.

"Here, I won it for you," he grunted between eating a marshmallow rope.

Michael watched the kid hastily look away and quickly busy himself with a customer. Michael watched the back of his head for a few moments before looking down at Ashley. He held up a tiara he'd picked up from the stall beside them; she didn't complain when he placed it on her head.

"Teddy want one?" He asked, gesturing to her new cuddly toy.

Ashley shot him a fierce glare which coaxed a smirk out of him.

She spared one last glance at the boy from the stall who appeared to consciously avoid looking up again. It dawned on her that for all she knew he was a criminal guilty of some terrible crime, paying his way at the fair just the same as Sam and Michael. She moved on quickly.

The boys dragged her through the stalls, stopping at a few mainly to buy Sam food with their wristbands. Ashley shuffled along, manned either side so that the crowds didn't jostle her. It didn't make sense that they could go unnoticed when they were in plain sight. All the people around them were entirely unaware that they were rubbing shoulders with death. If that wasn't bad enough, all these young, unsupervised teenagers were running around. Sam and Michael's escape was public knowledge yet parents still allowed their children out after dark and of all places a crowded fun fair?