33 | Ashleys Asylum

Ashley slammed the trailer door behind her and heard it bounce back before falling shut with a clatter.
After the heated moment with Sam, she lay on the bed for a shock ridden minute, her cheeks on fire and adrenaline vibrating through her limbs until the shock turned to anger. She stalked out, kicking the toy bear he'd given her halfway across the trailer as she did so.

Now, with her back rested up against the cool metal of the trailer, she allowed her body to tremble out its adrenaline. She sat upon the plastic box that acted as a makeshift step and wrapped her arms around her torso. She rubbed at her sore biceps. She didn't miss being grabbed like that.

Her jaw clenched as she seethed with hatred. Sam wanted to scare her, the fact his words fed into her real fears was simply a bonus.

Her hands balled tightly until her nails dug painfully into her palms. To be grabbed and handled like that again brought wave upon wave of fresh dread through her system. Even after Charlie's training, she failed to defend herself.

With a few deep breaths, Ashley regulated her heart rate and calmed herself. She was okay all in all, simply a little shaken. Sam had worded her fears but some fresh air reminded her it didn't make a difference. Their suspicion was to be expected and it would take time and resilience to conquer them. Logically it was prudent to assume her motives were the worst, but she knew Michael wanted her here on some level and relied heavily on that forgiving factor. Michael was her main concern, Sam was a nuisance.

Ashley flattened her hair back from her face, blinking back any moisture that threatened to leak from her eyes. She would need to get used to tense situations if she wanted to stick around. She flexed her arms to test how sore it felt to move them. Sam couldn't chase her off so easily. They had to exist in the same space and Ashley was determined to make it clear she intended to stay regardless of his actions or her reasons.

A few people walked past and Ashley focused on their legs, suddenly aware she was sitting outside in nothing but her bedclothes. As they disappeared she glanced up and thought she caught sight of Michael in the distance. Whether it was actually him or her eyes playing tricks on her, Ashley was acutely aware that he'd be back at some point and the atmosphere in the trailer wasn't exactly toasty. She stood with a new aura of defiance and reached towards the door.

As Ashley climbed the steps, ready to reassert her presence, her eyes locked onto Sam and her pace faltered. He was stood in his boxers, furiously brushing his teeth at the kitchen sink. Her eyes darted from his bare form to the dirty clothes piled on the floor and back again.

Ashley threw one arm up in the air. He was practically naked, again.

"Could you put some clothes on" she growled. "Please."

Sam left his toothbrush lodged in his mouth and opened his arms out wide.

"You put some clothes on" he clapped back, white suds dripping down his chin. He leaned over the sink to spit and rinse before abandoning his brush on the side. "I'm going to sleep."

"Sleep?" Ashley echoed, "sleep where?"

Even as she said it he was moving towards the bed, the only bed, a dilemma that quickly came back to haunt her.

"You can't sleep there, Michael said I could have the double" she added quickly.

Sam glanced over his shoulder, his brow furrowed at her like she was talking nonsense. "Love, it's called a double for a reason."

Ashley folded her arms, unwilling to budge on the matter. "No," she said firmly. "Find somewhere else to sleep."

Sam turned to face her fully. "Where exactly?" He challenged, "the smallest person can't have the only bed."