Part Fourteen

"For what?" Christ repeated my question, seeing my fear looking back at him. "Babygirl." He reached up and cupped the side of my face with his other palm, the small bag for our tokens of commitment dangling from his wrist. "For the ride home, for what the next steps in our relationship are, for planning a future with me, for not taking for granted the time we have together right now, and for seeing how much happier we can make each other." He tilted his head a little to the side, looking directly into my eyes. "You're all I want. There is no other woman I want to make any plans with, especially when it comes to love and the future. You're it."

His words had surrounded and consumed me so intensely that I couldn't tell if I was even breathing. I managed a quick inhale when he closed the gap between us and gently kissed me, a whisper of heat in the caress of his lips against mine. It was enough to cause my mind's eye to rapid-fire play the memories we'd made together since he had arrived around lunchtime the day before. A smile tugged at my mouth as I wrapped my arms around his chest and pulled him close.

He brought his head back and his eyes roamed my face, taking me in while the thumb of the hand he still had cupping my face rubbed my cheek softly. He smiled that assured smile that made me melt all over again. "Okay?"

I nodded. "Okay." I turned my face to kiss his palm before he dropped it and we began walking toward the door again, still holding hands.

When we'd made it back to the car and closed the doors, the quiet quickly settled into our small, private space. I placed my hand on the steering wheel and the sunlight caught the diamonds on my ring. My breath caught in my throat and suddenly I felt like my chest could explode from happiness. What ended up happening was that a laugh bubbled up from deep in my throat. I covered my mouth with my other hand and just let the giddiness finally sink in. My laughter filled the car for those following several seconds as I stared at the ring on my finger, and as it subsided my eyes drifted to Chris in the passenger seat, calmly watching me with pure adoration. He exhaled a sharp, gleeful breath through his nose and reached out to remove my hand cover my mouth, grasp my chin between his thumb and forefinger, and hold me there as he leaned over and kissed me deeply.

Pulling away, with his eyes closed still, he whispered, "I love you."

I licked my lips and fought the explosive smile that wanted to take over my entire face. I whispered back, "I love you too."

He let go and sat back in his seat as I started the car. Grabbing his phone, he connected it to my car again and pulled up the playlist he had previously mentioned of songs we had shared with each other. He hit shuffle and settled into his seat. Soon after, his hand found its resting place against my thigh once more, an action I was addicted to now. He sang along to the song that was playing.

I knew there was a grocery store on the way home, so I detoured there first, much to Chris' curiosity.

"We deserve a celebration dinner." I grinned and parked. "Wine, steaks, sides, dessert. Sound good?"

There was a flash of something feral that darkened his eyes, and he smirked. "Only if you're on the menu too."

I side-eyed him with a knowing smile. "You're in charge of taking care of that."

He sucked air in through his teeth and unbuckled his seatbelt. "Oh, I'm planning on seconds and thirds already."

A wave of heat seared my skin from head to toe, burning my cheeks and making me flush. "Damn it, Chris. You're spoiling me too much."

"That's something I never want to stop doing. Now, let's get our stuff and go home." He winked at me, grabbed his ballcap, and put it on.

"Ne sonnim!" I saluted him, causing him to belly laugh, and we both left the car to go inside the store.