Chapter Seven

As Nancy was walking with Ryan, she said, "Since first meeting you, I have had the feeling that I meet you before. I just can't seem to shake that feeling."

Ryan looked thoughtful for a moment before replying, "Perhaps, we meet before in another life."

Nancy laughed and nudged his arm with her elbow. "That is a silly notion."

Ryan scrubbed his shoulders, "From what I have heard, some people believe in it and religiously."

In response, Nancy rolled her eyes. She let her gaze scan over his body and blushed. "Come to think of it, I met a really cute guy yesterday as well." Nancy thought to herself.

"Are you ok? You look stressed." Ryan asked as he waved his hand in front of her face.

Nancy was surprised, "I'm just fine. I was lost in thought for a moment."

"Gotta be careful doing that. Deep thinkers are known to miss out on a lot in life by not paying enough attention to the world around them."

Nancy smiled and stuck out her tongue at him, "Now who sounds like the deep thinker?" Ryan flicked her on the nose playfully.

Nancy looked him in the eye as she said, "I remember meeting someone yesterday that looked a lot like you."

"Did he appear to be my double or just looked similar?" Ryan asked wearing a look of concern.

"Come to think of it, he looked like you but with blonde hair and hazel eyes," Nancy explained. Ryan shifted his weight from foot to foot and seemed to become agitated as she spoke.

"He works at a scuba diving company around here. Could you be related?" Nancy asked.

"Right now is not the best time to get into that..." the Ryan tried to say when his friends came back up.

"Hey, we caught him. The squirt thought he had lost us when he hid under a jeep but we could still see his bright red shoes under there. The police have him right now." One of the young men explained.

"Oh, that is great! I guess a call needs to be made to tell the police to be on the lookout for the accomplice." Ryan suggested.

"Can you tell me where the nearest payphone is? I would be happy to make the call." Nancy asked the group.

"I'm sorry Nancy but I need to get to work," Ryan explained as he turned to leave with the group of guys.

"That is ok. I will see you again." Nancy replied.

When Nancy arrived back at the inn, she witnessed Carter come running out the front door. He was carrying a set of suitcases and then threw them into the back seat of a yellow taxi cab. "What in the world is going on here?" Nancy asked as she ran up to the scene.

Carter turned to look at Nancy with anger burning in his eyes. Then he yelled, "THAT GIRL IS UNREASONABLE! I CAN NOT TAKE IT ANYMORE!" As Carter claimed into the back of the cab he added, "I am going back the states. Sorry girls, I'm afraid that you two are on your own." He then turned to the driver, "Alright, let's go. I need to go to the airport."

Nancy took a step back from the curb and watched as the taxi drove away. "It's not like Carter to blow up like this. I better go find Bess and find out what has happened ." Nancy thought.

She found Bess upstairs in their room. The teen was sobbing into a soft pillow as she lay across the bed. Nancy knocked on the door frame and asked, "Bess, can I come in?"

"It is your room too. I do not plan on stopping you. ", Bess replied.

Nancy sat right down next to her friend. "Bess do you need to talk about it? I am right here if you need me." Nancy cooed while she lightly rubbed Bess's trembling back. "Now what happened to cause all this?"

"I am afraid that you would not believe me if I told you," Bess replied her sobbing becoming a little quieter.

"You know that is not true. Bess, I have always believed you."

Bess slowly sat up pouting as she looked at Nancy. "He cheated on me, Nancy!", Bess said in between sobs.

Nancy was taken back because that did not sound like something Carter would do. "Now what exactly happened?" Nancy asked trying to get a better understanding of the situation.

Bess lied back down on the bed. Looking up at the ceiling, she explained, "We went out to eat together. Everything was fine until I went to powder my nose. Upon returning, I found him sitting at the table and flirting with a stunningly beautiful woman." Bess dried her teary eyes on the edge of the bedsheet.

"Carter had a terrified look upon his face when he noticed me. Then I ran out of the restaurant only to come back here. Not long after he came up here talk but all we ended up doing was arguing. In the end, Carter packed his bags to go back home."

"Oh, I am so sorry," Nancy said while hugging Bess. "Go take a hot shower it might help you feel a little better."

Bess stood up and walked towards the bathroom. "You know that is the best idea I have heard all day. Thank you, Nancy."

About an hour later Bess came out from the bathroom. She looked a little better, however, her eyes were still red.

"How about a trip to the beach today. You know there will be some super cute guys there."

"I do not feel like it today. I just need some rest."

"Oh come on Bess. It would be fun. I will not give up until you agree to come along," Nancy said giving Bess a little wink.

"No, I would rather just stay here and watch some tv," Bess replied.

Nancy jumped on to the bed and started to tickle her friend, which made Bess laugh. " You need some fresh air to clear your head."

Finally, Bess replied, "Alright! Stop my tummy hurts from all the laughter! I will go but after a short nap. You are a huge pest when you want to be Nancy Drew!" In response, Nancy just smiled. 

Authors Note* 

I created the character, Ryan based on what I imagined what my dream boyfriend would be like.