Chapter Nine

The next morning, Nancy tip-toed over to Bess's bed only to jump up and down on it. "Nancy, It will not hurt to let me sleep in for thirty more minutes," Bess whined as she tried to burrow deeper into the covers.

"There is no time to sleep late. This place charged a fee if we show up tardy. So get up off your lazy bun!" Nancy replied as she threw Bess her bathing suit, a cute pair of loose shorts, a peach-colored tee shirt, and a pair of strappy sandals.

Once they were dressed, Nancy hurried Bess into a cab that was waiting outside. "Slow down, there is no fire!" Bess complained half yawning.

"We still need to go pick up an underwater camera, that I called ahead and renting for the next few days," she explained. Nancy tapped the driver on the shoulder then said, "To the B & B Camera, INC. please and step on it!" The driver took her seriously and they shot forwards pushing the girls back into their seats.

"So give a little hint where we are headed. Not knowing is driving me crazy!"

"Hmm.... Let me think about it for a minute..." She said pausing and pretending to be thinking really hard about it to tease Bess. "... we will be exploring the area with a tour guide."

Bess shifted in her seat and turned to look out the window. "A walk around the area with a tour guide does sound kind of interesting." Nancy just hoped Bess would not show out when she learned that the tour was to take place underwater.

It did not take Nancy long to run in and pick up the camera. It was an impressive model with an interchangeable wide-angle and multi-purpose lens. They even included a small carrying bag to help keep it safe.

A few minutes later the girls were back on the road head towards the diving shop. It was located near the beach and was a short drive. They pulled up outside the shop that looked more like a beach shack. It had a large sign that appeared to be made out of driftwood that stated the hours and tour locations.

"Nancy, why are we here? We are supposed o be going on a guided tour of the city!" Just then Bess noted the sign and a look of dismay showed on her face. "On no! I am not going on an underwater tour!" she argued.

Bess you have never even given it a try. I bet you will love it." Nancy said as she smirked mischievously.

"Well you can just forget about it there is no way you ever get me to do..." Bess paused mid-sentence, seeming transfixed on something behind Nancy.

Bess looked as if she was in a state of sheer awe. She started to mumble senselessly under her breath. "Earth to Bess. Hello, are you there?" Nancy said as she waved a hand in front of her friend's face. Finally, she turned to see what Bess was gazing at. to her surprise, It was the cute guy she had to meet at the museum the day before. He had just come out of the building and was walking over to them.

"So glad you could make it. I thought you changed your mind about the dive." He said as while pulling off a pair of aviator sunglasses to reveal a pair of stunning hazel eyes. Bess started to mumble beside Nancy once again.

"It is nice to see you again. I am afraid that I did not catch your name last time we met." Nancy said with a smile while she elbowed Bess in an effort to snap the girl out of her trance.

"Oh yeah, sorry about that doll. I am Chase by the way and who is your friend here?" he asked as he glanced towards a nervous Bess.

"This is one of my best friends, Bess Marvin and I am..."

"The one and only Nancy Drew, the famous girl detective," Chase exclaimed as he threw his arms up in the air dramatically.

"Yeah but why would you know that?" she asked as she raised up an eyebrow.

"Well when I noticed the name given for the tour today, I recognized it from the media. My father did as well and helped fill me in on who you are. Apparently, he is a big fan of yours.' He explained as he led the girls inside the shop. "Now please sign these consent forms and then we can find you some gear." In no time the girls signed the papers and then handed them back. Chase then lead them into a large back room filled with all kinds of diving gear.

"First we need to find you both a wet suit. They only come in five different sizes: extra small, small, medium, large and extra-large." Chase explained as he showed them around. Nancy chooses a black and teal wet suit while Bess liked a white and pink one. Next, the girls tried on flippers. Lastly, Chase handed them some steel air tanks, respirators, and vests to wear.

"You wear the vest to help keep you balanced in the water so you float midway in the water instead of having to continually swim. Like fish do with their gas bladders." the young man tried to explain. Bess did not seem to get it very well but nodded anyway.

"Alright girls, just go put on your wet suits and meet me out at the blue jeep out front," he instructed before grabbing the heavy gear, carrying it outside with ease. 

Authors note*

All the diving scenes are inspired by a video game I used to play called, Endless Ocean.