Chapter Thirteen

The next day,  Nancy found the Scuba Shack number and scheduled another trip for the next day, bright and early. Next, she borrowed a phone book from the innkeeper then called the local collage to ask for the language professor. He was an expert in many languages and agreed to take a look at the watch later on that day.

"Nancy, come on you need to get changed. I have the whole day planned for us," said Bess as she walked into the room. She was dressed in cute gray shorts and a white lace-covered top.

"You do? But why go through so much trouble?" Nancy asked. 

"You planned yesterday's trip and now it is my turn," Bess said as she grabbed Nancy's hand to gently pull her towards the door.  "Come on or I'll leave you behind all by yourself again."

"Oh, ok. Just let me get dressed first." Nancy went over to her suitcase and pulled out some white knee pants along with a pink ruffled tank top.

An hour later, Bess was leading Nancy around by the hand. "Now do not open your eyes until I say so." 

"Just me a clue, the excitement is killing me," Nancy begged.

"No just wait. You will find out soon enough. Just a little longer..."

"Ok, I trust you." After a short while, they stopped. Then Bess let go of her hand but did not say anything. 

"Bess, can I take this thing off yet?" Nancy waited for an answer but did not get one. So she took off her blindfold to find herself alone in a dimly lit hallway. Nancy was very worried. She walked along the hall and saw a curtain up ahead. She paused before trying to part it, only to find that lay on the other side blew her mind!

It was as if she walked into some kind of Wonderland! What looked like hand-painted pictures from the original Alice in wonderland book hung on the walls. All around her waiters were dressed up like charterers from the book. 

"Bess! Bess! Where are you?" Nancy called. 

In response, someone shouted "Boo" from behind her.

 Nancy jumped but was grabbed by the arm. She quickly turned to see who had grabbed her,  to find Bess standing there.  "That was way too easy," Bess said as she snickered. 

Nancy shook her head in frustration, "All right you got me good this time. I will admit that." She took another look around the room taking in the scenery, before asking "Where are we?"

"A very special restaurant called the Mad Tea Party. I overheard some girls talking about this place the other day and just had to bring you here!" Bess explained gleefully while leading Nancy over to a table in the corner of the room. 

"This place is awesome," Nancy commented before a waitress dressed as Alice walked up to their table. 

"Welcome to Wonderland... where everything is upside down. Just ring this tiny little bell when you ready to order or need anything." said the waitress in  English accent. Next, she handed them some fancy menus made to look like vintage leather-bound books. 

"This place specializes in teas and sweets, however, I have heard they make a great beef stew as well," Bess added before looking over the menu.  

Nancy rang the tiny little bell and waited for the waitress to appear. Then she asked, "What is the London Particular?"

"A delightful soup made from pork, peas, and onions. It is on special today and is half price."

"Sounds great I take one and two wonderland Top Hat cupcakes please," 

Bess looked up from the menu to say, "I will have the grilled chicken with strawberry sorbet for dessert."

As the waitress took back the menu she asked, "What can I get you to drink?"

Nancy and Bess both replied simultaneously, "Peach tea please." 

As the girls waited on their orders, the staff put on a quick show for the customers by acting out a scene from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. The cast gathered around a long table in the middle of the room where the Mad hatter and March Hare were seated. They reenacted the Mad Tea Party scene from the Disney film and then the all sung together with the song, "A Very Happy Unbirthday." The performance was hilarious and caused the whole room to burst into laughter. 

Nancy and Bess were having a wonderful time until the bill arrived. "Twenty-two dollars for just the two of us? This is crazy!" Nancy exclaimed. "I do not have that kind of money on me! Bess do you?" she asked worriedly.

"Let me check my purse." Bess started to pull many different items from her purse. In a few minutes, the table was covered in makeup, receipts, and unused tissues. The staff and other customers had noticed there stranger behavior and were giving them nasty looks. 

A man dressed up as the white rabbit approached their table and asked, "Are you ready to leave? I regret to inform you that we need this table for other guests." He stood there looking down at them with an annoyed look upon his face. 

Both girls gulped. They were in trouble and the last thing these girls needed was to get the local police called. 

Authors note*

This story takes in in the 1960s so $22 dollars would be closer to the modern-day equivalent of $186.*