Chapter Twenty-Nine

Nancy got from up for her chair outside of a small Hawaiian shaved ice shop. The sweet rainbow-colored treat had started to drip all over her hands in the summer heat.

Nancy went over to ask someone for some napkins at the register before looking around. Her legs felt so heavy and stiff from all the walking she had done along the coastline. Nancy regretted all the walking she had done along the shoreline as she explored.

"I cannot just wait around here all day. I have the stuff to get done and soon it will be dark," she said out loud. The atmosphere around her had already started to shift from a friendly family hang out toward a college geared party. Young college kids seemed to appear out of nowhere. A guy was playful chasing after girls trying to steal kisses while punks on skateboards were riding through trying to knock people off their feet.

"I so do not belong here," Nancy muttered and she hung her head down low trying to go unnoticed.

"Hey babe!" said a young male voice nearby. Nancy paid it no mind. "Hey, babe I love you, marry me!" said a young man that was now standing in front of her.

"GET LOST I AM NOT INTERESTED!" Nancy barked feeling pissed off.

He took a few steps back and held his hand up in defeat. "Chill girl, I just think you are hot," he said before walking off.

Not long after a buff guy came walking out from behind the building with another much skinner guy.

The buff guy pointed to the other and announced, "He whizzed back their girls. Want to go see?"

In response, Nancy rolled her eyes. Nancy had had enough by this point, so she entered a surf shop to escape the growing crowds. She looked around finding that this store did not offer much of a selection and what did they have been way overpriced.

Then she herds Bes's voice from outside, "Nancy Drew? NAANNCCYY DRRREEEWWW?"

"Bess, where have you been?" Nancy asked as while running up to her friend.

"Out looking for you with Chase. You went off exploring hours ago and never came back."

"Bess, I am sorry. I lost track of time."

"As long as you are ok, what is done is done. Come on let's get away from all these wolves." Bess said as she led the way to where Chase was waiting in his car.

"So where to? The beach or perhaps a movie?" Chase asked with a sly smile.

"We need to get to the hidden mermaid Isle," said Nancy

"Why do you want to go to a dangerous place like that?" asked Chase.

"I am sure you would not believe me even if I told you," Nancy replied.

"Go ahead and try to explain." Chase insisted.

"Well, you know that old watch I found? Its kind of led me to find a compass. The crazy part is that the needle spins..."

"All compass needles spin Nancy," he added with a smirk.

Bess moved closer and took the compass from Nancy. "No, it is not like that!" she held it open to devastating. Once again, the needle spun around on its own accord. "Nancy thinks it is leading us somewhere. And we tracked it down to that island."

"I will take you both there, however, I do not think we will find anything there but old myths. Like the one about of the frozen fog."

"Frozen fog? That is new to me." Nancy added in.

"Just some old wives' tale from who knows how long ago. It is said if your wonder too deep in the fog on a cold night you become engulfed by it and become frozen solid. Trapped in a layer of frost forever destined never to felt warmth ever again."