Chapter Thirty Five

Chase kept swimming up until he felt the pulsing stop. A chill ran down his spine something powerful was about to happen. A huge wave came out of the sea as if summoned and pulled him back closer to shore. Now in stead of running about he headed for his friends. They watched a mysterious dark shadow like the one that had first saw in the moon pool appeared and swam aground the men still in the water. Just like a shark it seemed to be fallowing them. Them one by one they were dragged down under the dark water. They men fraught to no avail.

All the others stared to run for their lives but Nancy looked out upon the waters. For just a spit second Nancy thought she saw a blonde haired women staring back at her. With glowing eyes and long sharp teeth. Then she was gone. Nancy ran and quickly caught up to her friends and urged them to go faster. "Guys there is not a mermaid that guards this isle it is a siren in stead." She called out as they ran. Just when Bess turned to ask what the difference was a unearthly loud cry came out the a breath taking alluring song. All the men stopped dead in their tracks then turned to head for the water.

"BESS STOP CHASE IF THEY GET IN THE WATER SHE WILL KILL THEM!" Nancy yelled out on top of the the storm just kept getting stronger by the minute. Nancy and tacked Ryan it was no easy to hold him down but she manged. Bess grabbed Chase but could slow him down. Down in the water men were once again disappearing out of sight. The girls watch as they vanished under the mighty waves. They could barely stand to watch finally Bess had to turn away. "Nancy why is she doing this?" She cried out desperate for help.

Nancy had to think what could anger a siren. Her mind went back to the story the old women had told her before. About how the creature had summoned up a powerful storm to kill her pirate love who had betrayed her. Then it dawned on her the siren was not really the isles protector because if she was the men would of all be killed off this isle lone before now. That was it her treasure. But how could that be it was still in the cave?"

Just then her eyes shot over to Chase and gave him such a hateful look she had guess what had happened. "Bess check his pockets! Do not stop to ask questions just do it!" Nancy ordered trying to save her friends. By now most of the men had been killed and Chase was getting way to close to the water.

In his right pocket Bess pulled out a long string of pearls and a few coins. The the pocket yielded a gold ring and a huge ruby broach. That was it Nancy knew what she had to do to save them all! With out a second thought she ditched Ryan to run over and snatch the treasure from Bess. Then Nancy turned and headed right for the water as fats as possible.

Once was deep she threw out to sea the items. "There I returned them now please spare my friends!" Nancy called out in desperation. Righ then the singing stopped but the storm kept growing. The men that were free from the spell ran for their lives. Nancy dragged Chase and Ryan back on to the same boat as before. "Hurry Ryan we don't have much time!" She order eager to get away from this place.

With out any questions Ryan went to work hot wiring the engine. Nancy had Chase to help her untie all the boats so that no one but them could escape this isle. As they were doing this the mist started to grow thicker. They barely made it to the just before Ryan got it going. At the top speed the bothers lead them through the fog and out to open waters. "Did the siren fallow us?" Bess asked as she sat exhausted on the boat. Both Ryan and Nancy turned to Chase. "DID YOU TAKE ANYTHING ELSE?" They fussed. Chase promised he had not and that he would never go after that treasure again.

"We barely escaped with our lives." Nancy turned to the others. "We must never tell anyone else of the treasure or the sirens or many more lives will be lost." She made them all promise before they reached the dock. Tired and exhausted them made it the dock. It seemed like ages had passed since they had been back on the main land. The teens dragged their feet back to the jeep that was as far as they went before they passed out from exhausted.

Hours later they made it to the police station where they got strange looks until Ryan showed them his photos. Once at the isle they found the professor and what was left of his men all huddled around a fire trying to keep warm. The whole camp had been ruined in the storm. They used a metal detector to find all the burred items. Nothing was saw again of the mermaid either.

Ryan was reunited with his family and they had girls over for a huge diner. They spent the day of their vacation all at the beach having a blast. Ryan finally got up the courage to tell Nancy how he felt about her. He was sad to hear about Ned but did not seem to heart broken. Nancy and Bess left the next day after saying their good byes. Chase and Bess exchanged numbers to keep in touch. The boys promised to visit us one day in the states. Nancy gave Ryan a quick peck on the cheek as a than you for all he had done for her. It was so cute to watch him turn beet red.

As they were about to take off on the place Nancy glanced the old women form the gift shop standing in the distance she held the watch and compass in her hand. Nancy checked her bag for the compass but it was gone. "How did she get it?" Nancy glanced up at the women once more this time she grinned and her teeth looked just like the sirens. Her eyes went wide in shock as the the plane pulled away.

THE END