Chapter Nineteen

By the time they reached the pier, it had gotten dark. Ryan quickly jumped abroad the speed boat and held out his hand to help the girls get in. Then he untied the boat and pushed off from the pier with his foot. The engine roared to life driving the boat speeding off into the distance.  

Once they reached the middle of the cove, Chase cut the engine. Here the waters were calm and the breeze was light. The constellations could be seen reflected on the surface of the water. they rested here monetarily. The reflections off all the lights seemed to dance as Nancy dipped her small hand into the water. All of a sudden, a loud "BANG!" rang out over the cove.

"What was that?" asked Bess. 

"THAT SOUNDED LIKE A GUNSHOT!" Nancy exclaimed.

"That is not good," said Chase.

"Are they shooting at us?" asked Nancy as she peered out over the waters.

"No, it was from far away. I think it came from the other side of the cove," added Chase

Bess hid behind Chase and asked, "What if someone is badly hurt?"

Chase sighed deeply, "I guess the right thing to do would be to find out where that shot came from and call the police for help."

"That sounds dangerous," commented Bess.

"I have to pull you, two girls, into this. trust me I will not let anyone hurt you." Chase said reassuringly as he put his around Bess.

Nancy nodded and replied, "Let's go find out before I come to my senses and change my mind."

They pointed the boat in the direction of the gunshot and took off but at a much slower speed than usual. There were two more gunshots that lead them to a large white home in the bank.

"There it is. I wonder what is going on in that house?" commented Nancy.

Bess had been quiet for  a long time before adding, "Now that we know where the trouble is, let's get to safety ourselves." 

She was shocked when Chase brought the boat close to shore. "Are you trying to get up killed here! You are supposed to be running away from gunshots!" She wined.

"Bess what if someone is hurt?" he tried to explain.

"What if you get hurt?" she quipped.

He smirked, "Don't worry doll, I was born lucky." Unexpectedly, his expression quickly changed to concern, "This area is rural so I do not think we are going to be able to find a phone to use anywhere close by. I need you, girls, to stay here and be quiet while I try to go help!" he ordered before sinking down into the chest-deep waters. They watched as he slowly crept up to the shoreline, eventually making his way into the yard.

Bess sat on the side of the boat, wrapped up in one of the towels from earlier. She mumbled under her breath while rocking back and forth. "I do not like this at all. This is terrifying for me."

Nancy did not respond, ran her fingers through her hair, and became lost in thought. A moment later, the sound of another gunshot could be heard, spooking the girls. Bess cried and clung to Nancy.

"Bess, I need you to be strong." 

"How do you expect me to be strong? I wish there was some way to help." 

"There is but it is risky. I need you to take the boat and travel in clockwise order until you can find a house with lights on. To go ask for help. Earlier you were piloting the boat with Chase, so I know you can do it." Nancy explained as she lightly shook Bess. 

"Are you coming with me?"

Nancy said nothing as she lowered herself into the water. 

"No Nancy stay here! It is safer here!" Bess tried to tell her. 

Nancy just shook her head and kept going in the same direction Chase had originally taken towards the house.