Chapter Thirty-One

After making it back to the boat and freeing Bess from the rope that was tied around her wrists and ankles, the teens found themselves in another tense situation. 

"RYAN, WHY DID YOU DISAPPEAR AND WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" Chase asked as he held his brother by the shirt collar. 

"Not that it is any of your business but I left BECAUSE OF ALL THE BULL CRAP AT HOME!" Ryan yelled as he pushed Chase off of him. 

Chase puffed his chest out, "Do you even care how you have made the family feel. We thought you might be dead!"

Ryan's eyes filled with rage, "FAMILY! What family? After mom died  our family fell apart at the seams."

"You still have dad and me," Chase replied. 

"Is that a joke? Dad is a broken man that spends most of the time drinking. Then there is you, the Golden Boy, dad's favorite. In his eyes, I will never compare to you." Ryan argued.

Chase shook his head in denial, "What do you mean by that? I am no golden boy!"

Ryan looked up at his brother, "You just do not understand. Father tries to put on a happy face at work but behind closed doors he is abusive. He would constantly put me down and compare me to you.  On this worst days, he would even beat the crap out of me."

Chase looked to be in shock, "I had no idea."

Ryan sat down "I stayed at home to try to finish high school. Thinking that was what mom would have wanted so. Until one night, when dad got so messed up that he pulled a knife on me!

Chase's faced paled, "Father did what to you?"

Ryan looked away, "He was pissed off one night and threatened me with a kitchen knife." 

Chase hung his head low, "I am so sorry.  I had no idea."

Ryan sighed, "The drama is all over with now. I left home to discover that I do alright on my own."

Chase made eye contact with his brother, "Where have you been living?"

Ryan chuckled, "I have been staying with one of my old buddies, however, his girlfriend lives out of town. She likes comes to visit on the weekends. Unfortunately, she does not seem to like me very much. So on the weekends,  I stay in this little place I am working on fixing up. I am quite proud of it, I recently got a power generator in there. It is starting to look nice."

Upon hearing Ryan's words something clicked in Nancy's mind, "Is he the one that was staying at the lighthouse?" she wondered but did not dare ask the question aloud. If it was true, she felt that this was not the right time or place to ask. 

Chase gave his brother an odd look, "Well, I am glad you have been doing alright."

Ryan looked to his brother but did not add anything to the conversation. 

Nancy cleared her throat, "Ryan, why were you on the island? It is supposed to be deserted."

Ryan was surprised, "I used to travel to this island quite often on my small rowboat. I enjoy sketching the scenery and wildlife. Well, I did until, about a year ago when these crooks started showing up."

"What did you do then?" asked Nancy.

"I went to the police about it. Originally they did not believe me until I started collecting evidence. Then they offered me a job.  For the past few months, they have been paying me to keep an eye on this place."

Chase spoke up, "I never would have expected that."

"I believe it best if we get a move on. Before someone else finds us," suggested Ryan. 

Chase sat in the driver's seat as he tried to start the boat. In response, it made a stage sound and its lights flashed. "I can not get the engine to turn over. The battery must be dead." 

Bess started to panic, "WE ARE GOING TO DIE HERE!" Chase got up from his seat to wrap his arms around Bess. 

Nancy stepped forward, "Ryan, did you say you have a rowboat?"

Ryan smiled awkwardly, "Not anymore, I upgraded to a small motor boat. Unfortunately, I have it tied up in a secluded spot on the other side of the isle."

"Do you think we can get there safety?" Bess asked.

Ryan frowned, "It will be difficult since those goons will be after us soon, but It is our only option."

 "I need to fill you in on something." Nancy said as she pulled out the compass to show Ryan. 

After explaining the strange happenings to Ryan, he replied "I do not believe in the supernatural side of things, however, I promise to help you figure this all out."

Then the teens set out for the other side of the island, which just so happened to the in the same direction as the compass was pointing in.