CHAPTER 40

MINJEONG

She knew.

After all this time, she knew I had feelings for her, but she chose to stay silent. Why? I feel humiliated and hurt as I look at her. I can't believe she didn't say a damn thing about it.

When her eyes catch mine, it was the first time that I felt a slow burn inside my lump as if someone was trying to set me on fire.

The second later, I was walking away from her. I can hear her sweet honey voice calling my name in the distance, but I don't have enough courage to face her.

This is... too much for me to handle, I need to get away from here - from her. The cold breeze of the night and the pouring rain welcome me as I take a step outside the building. I didn't bring an umbrella, but I rather catch a cold than going back into her apartment.

"Minjeong!" she shouts at me.

I keep on walking even though the torrential rain is falling on me. I feel like every step that I take is getting harder and harder, but I won't stop walking until I go home.

"Not now," I retort with a firm voice.

My coat is drenched, but I don't mind a single bit. I'm too caught up in a memory of thoughts that I stop caring about the cold drops of the rain crashing over me.

How did she know?

Was I too obvious?

I thought I'll be upset, but for some reason, I'm not mad at her. I guess she would have known sooner or later.

"We need to talk," she says. "Please..."

I sweep a tear from the corner of my eye and clench my jaw. Unfortunately for her, I am not going to stop walking. I put my hands in my pocket as I look straight away.

"I didn't tell you because I didn't want to hurt your feelings," she continues.

Another tear scroll on my cheek and the pain I felt when I realized that I will have to watch her marry someone else returned. This time, it's hurting me even more. I find it hard to breathe, but I try to not burst into tears in the middle of the road and also, in front of her.

"Please talk to me," she adds.

I shake my head even though my whole body was dying to see her and take her in a tight embrace. I hate that I can't help falling in love with her over and over again. I wish she was worth the pain and the heartache, but she wasn't. She will never return my feelings because she is attracted to men.

One day, my feelings for her will pass and I will finally find some peace with myself.

"Don't you think it's time to stop running away?" Jimin asks, all of a sudden.

Something clicks in my brain as I freeze on spot. I turn around and my eyes meet hers. She seems taken aback at my reaction because she falls her mouth open and stares at me.

I can see that her eyes are sparkling, but due to the heavy rain, I can't tell if she cried. I give her a weak smile and slowly shake my head.

"I won't," I tell her.

She arches an eyebrow and dares me silently. Even though, we are on the middle of a sidewalk, I can see her gorgeous features lit by the lamppost.

"Prove it," she says almost like a whisper.

Without further notice, my hands grab her cheeks, pulling her closer to me as I look at something darkening in her eyes.

Everything in the road fades away when my lips crash into hers.

The fact that I can taste the sweet scent of her strawberry lip balm that I used to borrow from her makes me even more aware of the kiss.

Her lips are everything that I have imagined in my wildest dreams : sweet and addictive.

It takes me a few moments to realize what I just did and a few seconds to back away. With trembling hands, I look at the woman in front of me. We are both out of breath with eyes filled with tears, but not for the same reasons.

However, I can't put my fingers on her thoughts right now. Is she mad? Is she disgust? I have no idea. All I see in her eyes is tears scrolling down on her cheeks. Or is it the raindrops pouring on us?

Feeling like my heart is shattering into millions of pieces, I decide to turn around and run away from her.

And this time, I didn't hear her calling me.