07 | devoted, deceived

WORD COUNT: 2634

×××

"I'M SO LUCKY to have you, Kyra!" Medea blurted out as the two friends perused through the high-end gown shop. A shop definitely outside of Kyra's price range, considering the Tanwen's recent financial struggles, but this little afternoon outing seemed to be more of Medea's attempt to cheer up the unusually quiet woman rather than to actually find themselves dresses for the upcoming party. Even if shopping was more of Medea's form of therapy than Kyra's.

"I know you are, but what marvellous thing have I done this time?" Kyra asked with a smirk, trying to keep up some semblance of her usual self, rather than drawing away into her thoughts. Thoughts entirely focused on her encounter with Coriolanus the night before. Thankfully, Medea hadn't pried much into what was wrong with Kyra, something she had always appreciated about the redhead more focused on hedonism and fun. Even if she had, Kyra could have easily passed it off as difficulties working with the man she hated, though it could not be more complex than that.

"For coming shopping with me! I know you'd probably prefer staying home and revising for your exam tomorrow," Medea explained, as if Kyra was doing her friend a favour rather than the other way around.

"Our exam tomorrow." Kyra corrected with a knowing smile as Medea paused by a pink dress, holding the garment up to herself and checking over herself in the mirror. Kyra ran her fingers along the hanging dresses distractedly, casting a glance at Medea, and quickly adding, "not that one. Not flashy enough."

"You're so right. See! What would I do without your expert opinion? I need you here so I can pick the perfect dress to win over-"

Kyra's head snapped towards Medea.

"Sorry," the redhead smiled sheepishly, dark eyes apologetic, "should I be avoiding the topic of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named?"

As much as Kyra wanted this girls outing to be a distraction from thinking about Coriolanus, it hadn't truly been working anyway. And, as awkward as it felt to discuss Medea's advances on the man who had been inches away from kissing Kyra's neck last night, she found it hard to deny her friend. Perhaps because Kyra was searching for any semblance of conversation about Coriolanus.

"No, sorry, you can talk about... Snow. Just because working with him is driving me insane doesn't mean you can't bring him up if you want to." Kyra spoke with a weak voice, an extra difficulty in trying to force out his name as if speaking it would summon him. Then, lighter, she joked, "Besides, if he's gonna be your future husband, I'll have to get used to him sooner or later."

Medea giggled slightly at the thought, her eyes glistening with the desire to talk about the man she thought about almost as much as Kyra. Though, for very different reasons. With a reserved smile that seemed strained, as if holding herself back, she sympathetically replied, "I'm sorry it's still not getting easier for you. At least you're nearly halfway until the deadline!"

"Yeah, yeah. Now that's out of the way, say what you want to really say." Kyra prompted with an amused roll of her eyes. Medea didn't waste a second.

"Okay, well, I just think it's weird how he still hasn't asked me to be his date yet. I sent the invitations out Monday night. It's Thursday! I even personally delivered his and put my perfume on it, is that not a clear enough hint? You said he'd take initiative!" Medea rambled on, angrily searching through dress after dress as the hangers scraped gratingly against the rack.