09 | the devil's resting place

WORD COUNT: 2750

×××

KYRA'S HAND HOVERED over the front door to the Plinth Residence. It had been over a year since her last visit, when they had delivered the news of Sejanus's passing. She knew she could have been there for his parents more during that time, owed it to them for how much Sejanus had been there for her, but every time she had considered visiting, she couldn't shake her fury imagining Coriolanus sitting in Sejanus's seat.

Perhaps tonight would be too difficult. Already she was frozen by memories of her last visit, and she hadn't even knocked yet. Not to mention the added weight of deciphering whatever moment her and Coriolanus had shared last night by the piano. Kyra was not even sure if her invitation to dinner still stood, considering how quickly Snow had fled from her home yesterday.

The uncertain woman was just about to turn around and rush home, when the grand front doors opened, revealing the surprised face of Coriolanus.

"Ah, there you are. You're aware of how knocking works, aren't you?" Coriolanus teased, his surprised expression fading into his familiar proud smirk. Clearly he had recovered from whatever overcame him last night, and Kyra was thankful he was back to his usually irritating self.

"I only got here a moment ago," Kyra lied, before tilting up her chin and firing back, "You're aware that opening the door before anyone's knocked makes you look desperate, aren't you? Were you eagerly waiting for my arrival, Snow?"

"In fact, I was about to come and collect you." Coriolanus replied calmly, tucking his hands into his pockets, still dressed quite formal despite being in his own home. His eyes seemed to flash with relief as Kyra used his last name, though she wasn't quite sure why.

"What a gentleman." She drawled sarcastically, before raising an expectant brow, "So, am I meant to keep standing out here in the cold or are you going to invite me in?"

"Make yourself at home, Tanwen." He stepped out of the doorway and flashed a mean smile, as if knowing the irony behind his words. After all, this had been like a second home to her once.

Kyra followed Coriolanus as he guided her through the magnificent house, despite already knowing the layout. However, while the long hallways and walls were all the same, it looked so different to how she remembered it. Even more strange than her last visit, and already then it didn't look like the home of the Plinths.

"I would give you a tour, but I'm sure you've already had one." Coriolanus announced a few steps ahead, as if he could hear Kyra's thoughts. She scowled at the taller man's back, trying to decipher if he was intentionally aiming to make this more uncomfortable for her. She elected not to respond, unlike what common courtesy dictated, as she felt no need to follow the complex social standards of the Capitol when she was alone with Snow. They knew each other far too well for that.

Instead, Kyra let her eyes wander the unsettling home. Like last time, every empty surface was decorated by bouquets of white roses, almost flaunting the flower as if it marked the fact this was now the property of Snow. Everything seemed to be a grand show of wealth, a bragging of fortune Kyra had not seen even in the homes of her most self-centred peers. All of the furniture was clearly expensive and gaudy, completely unlike the homely design Sejanus's mother had initially picked for the place. It wasn't only her furniture that had been replaced, but there was also no sight of the little trinkets she had brought from District 2, that used to cover every shelf in an unflattering yet slightly sweet way. Most noticeably, while every room was filled with stuff, all the walls were now bare.