12 | the devil's dance

WORD COUNT: 4085

TW: Brief harrassment. If you wish to skip it, read until "I don't think sorry is gonna cut it this time" until "lips that Kyra only felt for a moment".

×××

"PLEASE SAY SOMETHING!" Kyra cried out, rushing down the front steps of the Plinth Residence after her redhead friend.

"Does 'traitorous little slut' work?" Medea fired back as she continued storming away, beelining for the black car she had exited from only moments before.

"It's not like that, Meddy! I swear-"

"Do not call me that! I'm not that to you, not anymore!" Medea snapped her head back, red curls framing her face like flames. The intensity of her fury-filled gaze caused Kyra to halt in her tracks, as if physically pushed back, allowing Medea to make it down to her patiently-waiting, subtly-watching chauffeur. 

"If you would just hear me out-"

"No. You have nothing worth listening to, and I have nothing to say to you."

The slam of the car-door was final. The screeching of the tires was the cherry on top, and the funeral bells ringing through Kyra's dazed mind was the laughter of mocking crows.

Medea may not have been the perfect friend, but she was still a friend. A friend Kyra had chosen, had relished in her sweetness and simple-mind, had the potential to be someone she could truly rely on. 

Not anymore.

"Kyra, you forgot your- Who was that?" Coriolanus called from the front door, his hand holding up the script Kyra had forgotten and his eyes trailing after the black car.

"Meddy." Kyra answered in a weak, dry voice.

"Who?"

"Medea Cupid, you insolent fool!" Kyra yelled, spinning round to scowl at the man stood atop the stairs, forgetting everything that had transpired between them the moment her eyes had landed on Medea.

"Ah, your friend... The one who has a crush on me, if I'm not mistaken?" Coriolanus hummed in understanding, slowly walking down the steps to Kyra's level. A gentle, morning breeze blew his blond curls out of place, though he did not seem affected by the cold despite still being only in his long pajama pants, as if he had rushed after Kyra the moment she left. His expression was innocent as he spoke, with an underlying smugness Kyra was practically trained in spotting by now, "Why, this must look incredibly poorly on you! Sneaking out of my home in my clothes... There's really only one conclusion she could come to."

He tutted, like one would over a minor inconvenience, as if Kyra's life wasn't about to become a living nightmare. Losing Medea was one thing, being pinned as one of Coriolanus's hook-ups another, but the undoubtable revenge her fiery friend would certainly strike down upon her?

I'll be seeing you soon, Sejanus, the dead girl walking thought.

Or, perhaps not.

"You're fixing this." Kyra hissed, jamming a finger into Coriolanus's infuriatingly firm chest.

"Me?!"