20 | the final chance

WORD COUNT: 2251

×××

"DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" Kyra pressed, her voice firm and gaze hardened.

"I understand, I understand..." Antonius reassured with his hands held up in defence, backing up into the marble fountain they stood beside while snow settled around them. Sheepishly, the anxious boy asked, "But... Can I ask you one question?"

"You just did." Kyra pointed out, prompting Antonius to fall silent. After a beat, she waved her hand in permission, eyes sweeping around their surroundings.

"This request... are you only asking me to do this so that you can keep an eye on Medea? Or are you actually concerned, at least a little bit, for her?" Antonius questioned, not meeting Kyra's eyes as he added, "I thought I used to know how you'd answer that, but..."

Kyra was silent for a moment, biting her lip while considering her answer. She didn't care about Medea's feelings towards her or Snow, that much became clear two nights ago. Yet, Kyra also knew that spying on Medea served very little purpose, considering the oblivious redhead didn't have any dirt on either Kyra or Coriolanus. Thus, why she felt so compelled to have someone keeping tabs on her old friend, she wasn't completely sure, eventually settling on a quiet, "Maybe it's both."

As if able to sense him, Kyra's eyes flicked past Antonius and spotted Coriolanus approaching, adorned in his thick, maroon coat as sparkling snowflakes settled onto his golden curls. Confusion flashed upon his face once he noticed Kyra talking with Antonius, his steps accelerating ever so slightly, and prompting Kyra to lower her voice, "Alright, scutter off now, Anty. I'll check in later."

Always good at following orders, Antonius headed off without another word, leaving Kyra to warmly greet her new lover mere moments after, "How did it go, handsome?"

"What was Antonius doing here?" Coriolanus asked instantly, his guarded gaze following the boy's retreating figure, as his hands instinctively - possessively - found purchase on Kyra's waist, pulling her towards himself.

"I asked him to be there for Medea." Kyra answered half-honestly, leaving out the part where he would be keeping tabs on the redhead. Before Coriolanus could press, Kyra ran her tender touch down his chest, drawing his attention back towards her, before asking, "Speaking of, how did it go?"

"She slapped me."

"She what?!"

"Other than that, it went fairly okay." Coriolanus shrugged, enjoying how Kyra's eyes flared with anger, certain she'd be storming off to give Medea the same medicine if he hadn't been holding her in place. In an attempt to tame her, Coriolanus added lightly, "All things considered, I sort of deserved it, my love."

"While that is absolutely correct, what sort of girlfriend would I be if I let any and all women start slapping you?" Kyra fired back, rambling on in her irritation, "I'm sure lots of them would jump to the occasion, and we really don't want to start that trend-"

Coriolanus silenced her with a kiss.

After a moment, the taller man pulled back once more, an obvious smirk on his lips at how quickly the anger had faded from Kyra's eyes, replaced by the warming of her cheeks from something other than the cold air. She had not gotten used to that yet, how Coriolanus could kiss her whenever he wished, whenever she wished, and thus, she resorted to what was natural for them.