15 | tanwen's triumph

WORD COUNT: 3314

×××

CANDLES FLICKERED WARM and intimate atop the quaint dining table, illuminating the singular purple orchid decorating the centre with a romantic glow. Calming classical music supported the bustle of conversations amongst patrons, as fresh food perfumed the well-decorated restaurant. It was a fine establishment, particularly busy on a Sunday evening, and it invited the wealthiest of the Capitol to dine there.

While the Tanwens still appeared to be a part of that cohort, Kyra knew this little outing would be an unfortunate drain on her already dwindling pockets. However, as much as Kyra wished to spend the evening nursing her hangover, Medea's enlightening visit had thrown those plans out of the window. Kyra had two things she needed to accomplish before students started a new week of university and, with it, the undoubtable spread of rumours from Medea's party: talk to Antonius, and make her move against Snow.

This well-timed dinner, as taxing as it would be, would allow her to kill those two birds with only one of her expensive stilettos. And, if in the process she kept up the Tanwen family's wealthy appearance with the wider public, that couldn't hurt too.

"You know, I'm surprised you wanted to see me after... last night..." Antonius muttered, breaking the awkward silence that had descended the moment he sat down. The badly beaten boy kept his eyes down to the menu, either from guilt or to hide his bruised face from the wealthy diners that surrounded them, another reason that Kyra had chosen to have this conversation here. His pathetic defeat was on display for all to see, filling Kyra with the confidence she needed tonight, as she enjoyed the show of his humiliated squirming.

"You don't need to look at that." Kyra spoke firmly, taking the menu from him as if he were a child. Her red-painted lips spread into a composed, deceptively-polite smile as she spoke, "I don't imagine this conversation will last long enough for food to be necessary. And I've already taken the liberty of ordering us a bottle of wine. You do like wine, don't you, Anty?"

Antonius's eyes flashed with shame, obviously recalling how much he had liked wine at Medea's party, and how badly that had ended for him. Forced to look at his lap now that his only point of distraction was taken away, his quiet voice responded, "I'm... off drinking."

"You will have a glass tonight," Kyra's smile did not falter, though her words carried a level of threat rather than suggestion, "It is only polite, after all."

Antonius glanced up weakly, leaning over the table, as his voice came out desperate, "Kyra-"

"Tanwen. To you."

"Tanwen..." He corrected himself, grasping the table cloth like a lifeline, before continuing, "I'm... sorry for my actions at the party. I know that doesn't mean much, that nothing I say will make it better, and you have every right to get me kicked from the university or press charges or both. But... I'm hoping... that inviting me to dinner is a sign that you will at least hear me out."

As Antonius's words finished, an Avox approached their table with a bottle of red, filling both of their crystal glasses and departing when Kyra waved him off. Despite her polite expression, Kyra's eyes were undeniably stern as she nodded at Antonius's glass, signalling for him to drink. The brunet boy hesitated, clearly struggling with himself, before reluctantly having a small sip.

Kyra smiled approvingly, lifting her own drink and stating, "You have until I finish this glass to say whatever you want to say. And don't delay, I take larger sips than you."