[04] terminus

4. Terminus

"NO Sanctuary

"NO Sanctuary."

"IT'S HOT AS BALLS IN HERE." Dani fumed, pacing around the small freight car.

"Ain't that the damn truth." Abe grumbled, his arms folded across his chest.

"Anyone got any idea how we're gonna get out of this tin can?" She said, giving the metal walls a kick for good measure.

The group murmured a few 'No's as they all stood around. It had seemed so safe. How did it all go to shit so quickly?

"I swear, when I get my hands on them..." She mumbled to herself.

"You guys don't think they're actually gonna..." Lucia started.

"Eat us?"

"Dani, please."

"It's what you meant, wasn't it?"

"Yeah but they're are certain ways to word these things—"

"Oh my god, you always do this! Maybe if—"

As the two sisters bickered, Tara stood suddenly, pressing her ear to the walls.

"Dani!" She cut her off, giving her a distraction. "Gunfire."

"It's right outside." She responded as she listened, imitating her position.

The two girls tried listening closely, but the voices they heard were too muffled to make sense of anything. The rest of the group hurried over, each trying to understand what was going on. It only took a couple of minutes to pass before the door was opening and four new people were joining their unwanted game of sardines. Two gruff looking men, one with dark curls and a thick covering of stubble over his jaw, the other with long-ish dark hair and a black vest. Next was an attractive woman with a goddamn scabbard ('a saya', she thought its proper name was) on her back followed by a younger boy with long hair and a sheriffs hat. He headed straight for the first man, who placed his hand on the boy's neck affectionately. He must've been his father. Or something of the kind.

They briefly observed their surroundings, not paying that much attention until Glenn took a step forward. Dani's hand darted out to grab his forearm, just in case they weren't good people, but he shook his head almost distractedly.

Approaching the man, he peered through the darkness and called to him. "Rick?"

"He knows him?" She asked Tara.