Chapter one

Steamer always thought there was something other than the volcano but living without anyone to take care of you except, a mean caretaker made it impossible to see outside of the volcano. Without Magma I might have been as miserable as all the other orphaned dragonets he had taken care of. When I was a dragonet, my parents disappeared (probably because of the lava) and no one knows what happened to them.

"Get up" snarled Smoke. "The queen has requested all of your dump water breathing tails to the main hall."

He pulled me out of my bed with my wing before I could respond.

"Ow." I protested.

"Oh, don't be an ocean kisser." He swore rolling his eyes at me. "Cannot wait to get you out of my scales."

Smoke is not as big as other dragons, but he was the size of a seven-year-old dragonet. He had a small red line going down his neck and up his wings, his black under belly made him hard to see in the shadows even with his orange and grey scales. The way he walked looked like he was in pain but did not talk about it to anyone. Well, he might but not with the dragonets the ones he had to look after; he had a scar going up his tail from something he would not talk about. He was always grumpy and never smiled, which was a good sign to me anyway, the only time he smiled was if he was able to punish us or if he took all our decent food. He walked out of the room grumbling to himself. After the minute after he left me, I was still upside-down laying on my back with my wing near the lava, my best friend Magma came in. She is bright red with a ridiculously small scales of black under her eyes. Her wings were a shade of grey with black lines that looked like vanes going up them. She had black scales at the end of her tail that looked like it was burnt by the lava, while I had more black scales on me under belly and I had shiny grey scales that looked like lines going up my body. My wings are bright red with black and grey scales here and there. As she walked up to me it looked like she was woken up the same way as well, but that did not stop her from bouncing up and down on her legs around me stepping on my wing and end of my tail.

"Did you hear that" she asked helping me up from the floor. We are leaving this horrible place."

"Yeah" I told her, As I got up, I let my sore wing flop out on my side touching the cold floor. "I hated it when he wakes us."

I told her, while inspecting my injured wing to make shore it was not broken or sprained. "At least he did not pull you by the ear like he did for me."

Magma told me. I looked up to see where she was pointing. I saw that her ear had claw marks in it with blood coming out of it.

"Let's get you cleaned up."

I told her to lift my wing, so it did not touch the lava. I went to a rock at the corner of my room which had no lava and lifted it up to show my secret stash of healing leaves. These leaves are rare and come to us once a month, but I can steal them before Smoke comes and burns them. They are used to stop bleeding and heal the cut but not take it away. I took one carefully and walked back to Magma and she grabbed it and placed it up to her ear to stop the bleeding. I went back to the rock and placed it over the leaves. If Smoke saw my stash, he would make me do all his chores as a dragonet keeper or he would just hit me. I took the leaf from Magma and placed it up in the lava so I could burn away the evidence.

"What is taking you so long don't make me come in there!"

boomed Smoke from somewhere in the cave. I could hear him eating the food that was left for the dragonets.

"Let's go and still some food before he eats it all" Magma smirked.

I could not help but smile back at her. She always made me smile, I do not know if it is just the way she talked or because she was the closes thing to family I had. As we walked into the main cave, I saw Smoke eating the food on the table facing away from us. He was playing with his golden earring. I went up behind him and snatched some of the food that he would not be able to see. I was able to get some burned meat and fruit from his pile. I walked back making shore I did not make any noise. As I got back into the hallway, I saw Magma sitting on her back legs holding a tiny one-year-old dragonet. I could not help but feel bad for him. He was the only one left in the orphanage and Smoke would leave him for dead. He did not feed him or care for him. We were the only dragons he had to help him. His room did not have much light in it. It was to help him sleep. The only thing he had was a rock wall that me and Magma made to keep him from falling off.

"Look at him Steamer" she whispered, "he's so little how would he survive by himself?"

I looked down at the dragonet, he did not have a name because Smoke did not have the brain cells to produce one. I put the food down and looked at the pile for a while before picking up a fire fruit. I looked at it for a minute, it looked like a dragonet with its bright red surface and orange stripes and black top. It also has bright red spots in the black area. The dragonet has small red spots on his head with two big ones under his eyes. He has a bright red body with orange and grey wings.

"What will he do without a name" Magma sighed as if she was reading my thoughts.

"Maybe" I asked looking up at Magma, "We could call him fire fruit."

"That's a great idea" yelled Magma.

A grunt came from the cave where Smoke was, he was asleep, or he did not care what we did. The little eyes of the dragonet popped open, and he looked up at us.

"Hello"

He yawned rubbing his eyes with his little claw, he got out of Magmas talons and walked over to the pile of food. He looked at it for a bit then he picked out the other fire fruit and bit into it, the black juice started to drip down from the side of the fruit and onto the floor.

"Hey" I asked, "We believed that we have found a name for you."

"Really"

he asks with a mouth haft full of fruit. His eyes were shining and hopeful.

"Yeah" said Magma.

Walking up to sit next to me while grabbing a piece of meat.

"We think your name should be Fire Fruit, you love the Fruit, and you also look like it."

His eyes looked as though they were about to pop out of his head. I knew he was about to yell and call the attention of Smoke, so I shoved the fruit I was holding into his mouth as I heard a muffled scream.

"Shh"

I warned him holding one claw to my mouth. Magma looked as if she were about to cry. She had picked Fire fruit up as he made a cry of protest and hugged him.

"We will miss you my little bug."

Fire Fruit pulled the fruit out of his mouth and asked.

"What do you mean."

"Well,"

I told him, while Magma sat him down wiping her eyes.

"We are now seven and eight that means we will be leaving this place and going to our new caves somewhere else in the volcano."

He looked as if he were about to cry.

"W What" he asked, "Don't leave me with him please."

he pounced onto the tip of my tail trying to hold it down.

"Please don't go Smoke is so mean I do not want to be here by myself."

I picked him up and hugged him.

"Don't worry" I reassured him. "We have a plan once we get our jobs. We will report what Smoke is like, so he never does it again and adopt you."

"Yay"

Fire Fruit yelled pouncing on Magmas talons.

"We need to go now."

Magma told him. She put him up on his sleeping rock and gave him his left-over fruit. I grabbed the burnt meat, tore it in haft, and gave it to Magma. The meat here always tasted like it was burned by the lava, because Smoke always gave us this burnt meat, while he has the proper cooked meat. Once I dared still the nicely cooked meat and told Smoke that none came, due to it rarely ever coming he just grunted and walked off. I went back to where Magma and Fire Fruit were sitting and gave some to them, it was the best thing they had ever tasted. Since then, this meat did not taste the same, it had the taste of ash, and it was very dry. We walked out of the room looking back once to see the sad eyes of the baby dragonet just staring at us as we left the place, we once called home.