chapter two (the new beginning)

After Magma and I left the orphanage, we seemed to just forget about our problems. We started to chat about what we might get for our jobs.

"I wonder what I will get."

Magma had been saying that as we walked down the caves.

"Hey" I teased "Why don't you become a loudmouth you seem to be great at that."

I stuck my tongue out at her, and she gave me an anger face in return.

"Ok that's it."

She started to chase me around the caves. We ran until we got into the main hall where we were summoning to. Advantages of living in a volcano are, that we did not need light to light up the way, the lava gave us that. As we walked in, I could see lots of other dragonets sitting in rows towards a big stage. The queen sat on a chair, chatting with her eldest son Molten. As we found our seats the queen started to talk, her voice danced around the hall as she talked.

"Welcome young ones" she boomed "Today, is the day where each of you will find out what you are best at and what job those skills fit into. Like a teacher or a farmer only the Rock can find your new line of work."

The Rock was the eldest and most prestation thing in the how mounted it told the dragonets what we are best at and what is best for the tribe. As she talks on for a while about how each role and what jobs are there to fill. I was able to lean over to Magma.

"What job do you think you'll get."

I whispered to Magma, while the queen was talking, she had been playing with a rock with her claws.

"Don't know" she whispered back, "Maybe I will be a teacher."

As she said that sentence, I saw that her eyes were hopeful. While we talked, she did not take her eyes off the queen. She would not say it, but I knew she was what she wanted to be most, a librarian. She loved to read, and she spent most of her free time in the school or public library, or she was sitting in her bed with her face in a book. For me I did not know what I wanted to be. There was so much to choose from. I was interrupted from my train of thought by the queen.

"Ok" her voice was much louder than before.

"Now I will call all the names of the seven or eight-year-old dragonets."

This is it. I am now seven and now I must know what job I was meant to do. As the queen called the names one by one dragonets walked up to the stage and put their talons on the Rock. One by one their jobs were yelled out by the Rock. Finally, my friend's name Magma was called. As she walked up to the stage, I could see the fear in her eyes.

"Don't worry dear" purred the Queen. "Now put your talon on the rock dear."

As she put her talon on the Rock it took seconds that felt like hours. When it said librarian. Her face lit up with joy. She walked off the stage and into her group with the other teachers. As she walked off, I heard my name being called, Steamer. It was the name of one of the animals that live with us. As I walked up to the stage, I felt hundreds of eyes looking at me. As I got up to the top of the stage, I saw two different eyes looking at me. The caring eyes of the Queen and the bored slightly mad eyes of the prince. I walked up and put my talon on the rock.

"There you go dear" whispered the queen.

As my talon was on the rock, I could feel the heat curling then cover my talon. Suddenly I felt a sharp pain where my talon was on the rock then it felt like something was inside me. I screamed in surprise and lifted my talon off the rock. The thing in my talon started to glow, but out of nowhere the queen screamed dropping the rock on the stage just as it said.

"Magmawing."

Everyone was screaming now. Guards were coming at me spear in hand. Suddenly my legs started to run. I had no control, I tried to stop but my legs were not listening. My hole arm was glowing now. As I ran, dragons were yelling for me to stop. As I ran the glow thing in my arm was speeding even faster; now all my legs were glowing. Great' I thought. now where would hide when my hold body starts to glow.' As I ran around the corner there was a wall of lava that blocked my way. While I heard the guards were coming this way and now my whole body was glowing now.

"She's down here."

yelled the guards, they were coming closer. Suddenly talons grabbed my head and wings and pulled me into the lava behind me.