Chapter 17 It begins part two

"It's a chess board." Ron said.

"Look there's the door." Harry said pointing to the other side Of the board.

We walked toward the door but the pieces blocked our path

"What now?" Hermione asked.

"Isn't it obvious we have to play our way through, alright Harry, Anna, you take the empty bishops spares. Hermione you'll be the queens side castle. As for me I'll be a knight." Ron said.

We took our places and got ready for the game.

"What happens now?" Hermione asked

"Well white moves first, then we play." Ron said

Just then a white pawn moved out on to the board.

"You don't suppose this is going to be like real wizards chess, do you?" Hermione asked nervously

"You there D5."Ron commanded one of the pawns. It moved to its mark. But then the white pon moved and destroyed it with its daggers.

"Yes Hermione I think it is exactly like wizard chess." Ron said nervesly

The game continued. Pieces where brakening at every turn, Ron's voice echoing as he called out positions for the pieces to take. At last it was time for the final moves of the game, but I knew that the net move was going to be hard for Ron to make. because he would have to sacrifice himself, I looked at Harry just as he realized this.

"Wait a minute."

"You understand right Harry, once I make my move the queen will take me. Then your free to check the king."

"No Ron no!" Harry yelled

"What's he doing?" Hermione asked

"He's going to sacrifice himself." I said

"No you can't there must be another way." Hermione said pleadingly

"Do you want to stop Snape from getting that stone or not. Harry, Anna it's you two that have to go on, you know it. Not me, not Hermione, you two." Ron said looking at the both of us.

Harry and I nodded.

Ron looked ahead of him and prepared him self then said,

"Night to H3!"

The knight began to move to its final spot before being destroyed by the queens sword All the while, Ron was holding on to the piece.

"Ron No!" Hermione screemed about to run over to him

"No don't move! remember we're still playing." Harry yelled.

"Right." Hermione said

With that Harry made his move and with the words "check mate." the kings through his crown to Harry's feet. The game was over.

"Come on Hermione." I said while running to Ron who was lying unconscious on the floor.

I bent down to examine Ron. Hermione and Harry on either side of me.

"He's still alive." I said

"Hermione take care of Ron then go to the owlery. Send a message to Dumbuldore. Ron's right we have to go alone"

"You'll both be ok, your great wizards really." Hermione reassured.

"Anna is, but I'm not as good as you." harry said

"Me, books, cleverness, they're more important things friendship and bravery. Harry, Anna be careful." Hermione said

With that Harry and I both stood up and made our way to the door.