CHAPTER THREE

A FAMILY DINNER

THE BENSON'S MANSION

Luther's father, Robert Benson, was already seated at the head of the table when Luther entered the dining room. Robert's wife, Anne Benson and their sons, Donovan and Cyrus Benson were seated at the table as well. The tension in the room was palpable, and Luther could feel the hate emanating from his stepmother and stepbrothers. He took his usual seat the table, trying to ignore the hostility in the air.
       "Good evening everyone", he said trying to keep his voice light, but no one responded. The silence was broken only by the clink of silverware against china as the meal was serve. Anne placed a plate of food in front of each person but no one touched it. The tension was so thick that he felt it could be cut with a knife. "Eat up everyone" Anne said. Half way through the meal, Robert spoke his voice sharp. "I heard you lost an important deal Luther, do you need, I can make it easy for you". Luther dropped his cutlery, sighed and looked at his father " I also heard your company dropped from second to fifth position, why don't you channel the help and energy towards your rival company, as in finding the brain behind the company. The rest of the people on the table sneered at Luther but he didn't mind.
       Robert cleared his throat, "Anyway, I have an announcement to make". The rest of the family looked at him expectantly waiting for him to continue. "I'm pleased to announce that Luther's betrothed Naomi Noah will be returning from Italy soon". Luther felt the color drain from his face,he had hoped that his father would not bring up the betrothal at dinner but now it was out in the open. He looked around the table feeling the eyes of his family upon him. " You know that I have never agreed to this betrothal". "I understand you see her as a friend" his father said, his voice tight with anger. "But I have made a commitment to her family, and I cannot back out of it now. You will do what is required if you". "Commitment without my consent" Luther said, "I will not be a party to it and I will not marry someone I do not love. Why can't you solve your mess without dragging me into it", Luther barked. Anne cut in,"I don't see anything wrong with that since she is your childhood friend". Luther glared at her and said " I would rather disappoint you than go through a marriage that us not right for me". His father stood up, his face red with rage " you are being selfish and ungrateful", he said "I've done everything for you and this is how you pay me back"."Father, please" Luther said, his voice firm " I'm not trying to be ungrateful. I'm simply trying to be true to myself. I cannot go through with this marriage. it would be a lie!" His father looked at him for a long moment and then he turned away " You are a disappointment to me"he said , his voice barely above a whisper. "You have chosen your own selfish desire over the wishes of your family". With that, he left the room and Anne followed him closely behind.
        "You're a coward ", Cyrus said, sneering at him". Your father wants you to marry that woman and you're too weak to do it. You are a disgrace to this family ".
Donovan chimed in, his voice cruel."You are right, he is a coward. And he's also a fool. He's throwing away his inheritance for what? A chance at freedom? he'll never be able to make it on his own".
        "Come off it, big bro. I already have a company I built from scratch, but what about you? you are still depending on dad's money", Luther taunted. Donovan eyes dimmed with rage. In a flash of anger, Donovan lunge at Luther. Luther broke free easily and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, slamming him against the wall."I warned you", Luther said, his voice trembling with rage."I'm not going to put up with your insults anymore. You 're going to respect me whether you want to or not".
Cyrus stood by his eyes wide with fear."Luther, you are scaring me", he said, his voice wavering."Please just let him go".
            Luther stormed out of his family home, his anger still boiling over. As he made his way to the car, his driver Jerry could see the fury on his face. He opened the door without a word and waited for Luther to get in."To my office", Luther said, his voice tensed. The driver nodded and started the car. The car emitted silence terrifying for the driver.