CHAPTER FOUR

A CASE TO WIN

        Molly woke up the next morning, she remembered with a smile on her face that the previous night had been wonderful. She and Dan had spent a passionate evening together, and she was still feeling the effect of their time together. She lingered in bed for few minutes, enjoying the memories, before reluctantly getting up.
" How was your night?", Dan asked with a smile coming in with a tray of food as he placed it on top of the bed. "Wonderful", Molly replied smiling as Dan kissed her on the cheeks. "Your breakfast in bed", Dan said opening the covered food. "I'm sorry Dan, but am late" Molly said calmly. "Just take a bite, I don't want you to leave with an empty stomach", Dan pleaded. "I'm going to eat something after the court session, I don't like eating before defending my client", Molly said dressing up. "Love you" she said and gave him a quick kiss before heading out the door and drove off in her car.
      Once she was home, she dressed for the day. After putting on her professional attire, Molly quickly gathered her things and headed out the door. As she drove to the court house, her thoughts kept returning to the case. She knew she had to be prepared and focused in order to win.

            COURT ROOM

          Molly hurried into the courtroom, her briefcase clutched tightly in her hand. She could feel the eyes of everyone in the room on her including Romeo Kelvin who was glaring daggers at her as she took her seat at the defense table. She knew she was late, and she could feel the tension in the air. The judge, the defendant, and the plaintiff were all staring at her, their faces a mixture of curiosity and annoyance.
Taking a deep breath, Molly tried to calm her nerves. She looked up at the judge and apologized for her tardiness. "I'm so sorry, Your Honor," she said, her voice shaking slightly. "I got caught in traffic.
       The judge looked at Molly sternly, his expression unreadable. "Let's get on with the case, Ms. Kay," he said, his voice firm.
Molly nodded, her heart racing. She gathered her thoughts and turned to address the courtroom. "Your Honor, my client was injured in a car accident," she began. "He was hit by a drunk driver, who was driving recklessly and without regard for the safety of others. My client suffered serious injuries as a result of the accident, and he has been unable to work or support his family."
She continued, describing the impact the accident had had on her client.
          As Molly continued her description of the impact of the accident on her client, she could see the defendant starting to squirm in his seat. She knew she was hitting a nerve, and she pressed on.
"My client has not only suffered physically, but he has also suffered emotionally and financially," she said. "The cost of his medical bills, combined with the loss of income from not being able to work, has put a tremendous strain on his family. They are struggling to make ends meet, and they don't know how they will get by."
Molly looked over at the plaintiff, who was nodding along with her words.
       "Firstly", Molly started. "The defendant here claimed that he wasn't drunk or let's say he was under the influence". "But I would like to present a vital evidence my Lord" she said. "Go on" the judge permitted.
"This test was performed by the patrol team on the night of the incident using the breath analyzer and the result showed that he was indeed under the influence" The judge nodded taking notes.
         "I would like to call my first witness," Molly said, turning to the judge.
"You may call your witness," the judge said, and Molly called the first witness to the stand. It was a doctor who had treated her client after the accident.
The doctor took the stand and swore to tell the truth. Molly began her questioning, asking about the extent of her client's injuries and how they had impacted his life. The doctor detailed the physical and emotional toll the accident had taken on her client, and how it had impacted his ability to work and care for his family.
As the testimony continued, Molly could see that the accident had a serious impact on her client.
         As the testimony continued, the judge began to ask questions of his own. He was particularly interested in the long-term prognosis for Molly's client, and whether he would ever be able to return to work.
The doctor hesitated, then said, "I'm not sure. His injuries are serious, and they may have long-term implications. I can't predict with certainty whether he will ever be able to return to his previous line of work."
There was a collective intake of breath from those in the courtroom. The impact of the doctor's words was clear. The judge looked at Molly who was visibly shaken by the prognosis.
         "Objection my Lord", the defendant lawyer said. "Sustained" the judge permitted. The defendant's lawyer stood up, clearing his throat as he prepared to cross-examine the doctor. "Dr. Brown, you mentioned that the plaintiff's injuries may have long-term implications," he began. "But isn't it true that you can't say for certain what the future holds for him?"
The doctor nodded. "That is correct. I can't predict the future with 100% certainty. But based on my medical expertise, I can say that it is possible that his injuries will have long-term implications."
The lawyer pressed on. "And isn't it also true that with proper rehabilitation and treatment, it is possible for the plaintiff could make full recovery.
         "With proper rehabilitation and treatment, it is possible that the plaintiff could make a full recovery," the doctor conceded.
But the lawyer was not done. "So you're saying that it is also possible that the plaintiff's injuries will not have long-term implications?" he asked.
"That is correct," the doctor said, sounding a bit exasperated. "But as I've said, I can't predict the future. I can only give an educated opinion based on my medical knowledge and experience."
The lawyer nodded. "I understand. But it is also possible that the plaintiff is exaggerating his injuries in order to gain sympathy.
         "Objection!" Kate said, standing up from her chair. "This is speculation, and not based on any evidence or fact."
"Sustained," the judge said, glaring at the defense lawyer. "Mr. Smith, please refrain from making such claims without evidence."
"Yes, Your Honor," the lawyer said, slightly flustered. He turned back and walked back to his seat.
        Molly was standing in front of the courtroom, arguing on behalf of her client. The case was an emotional one, as her client had been injured by a drunk driver. She knew that if she could get the judge to rule in her client's favor, it would make a big difference in her client's life.
As she made her arguments, she spoke from the heart. She talked about the pain and suffering her client had gone through, and how the drunk driver's actions had caused so much damage. She pleaded with the judge to consider the impact on her client's life.
          The judge sat back in his chair and considered the arguments that had been presented. He looked over at the defendant and then at the prosecution. Finally, he looked at Molly and said, "Miss Kay, you have made a compelling argument. I must admit, I am impressed with your skill as an attorney."
Molly felt a surge of pride at the judge's praise. But she knew that the verdict was still up in the air. She waited nervously as the judge continued.
"However," the judge said, "I have considered all the evidence and testimony presented, and I have reached a decision."
The courtroom was silent as a graveyard.
"After much consideration, I have reached a verdict," the judge said, his voice carrying throughout the courtroom. "In this case, I find the defendant liable for the injuries sustained by the plaintiff."
A collective gasp went up from the courtroom. Molly let out a sigh of relief. Her client had finally received the justice he deserved."I hereby give my judgement", "the defendant is to pay the sum of $1000 as fine".
*
*
*
*
             COURT HALLWAY
    As Romeo walked out of the courtroom, he saw Molly standing in the hallway. She was talking to her client, but she stopped when she saw him. He knew that look in her eyes - it was the look of someone who had just won a battle.
"Romeo," she said, her voice cold. "I think you owe my client an apology."
Romeo's jaw clenched. He knew that he had made a mistake, but he wasn't about to admit it in front of everyone. "I don't owe anyone anything," he said. "I'm just glad this is over." Molly shook her head, her expression hardening. "It's not over for my client," she said. "You may have gotten off easy in court, but he's still suffering from the injuries you caused. He'll be living with the consequences of your actions for the rest of his life."
Romeo felt his temper rising, but he forced himself to keep his cool. "Look, I'm sorry about what happened. But I didn't mean to hurt anyone. It was an accident."
"An accident that could have been avoided if you hadn't been driving drunk," Molly said, her voice tight with anger. She turned and walked away. "Hey you, I will make you pay for this" Romeo called out. "Do your worst" Molly said and finally walked out. As she was heading towards her car, her phone rang, she looked at the screen and smiled before picking. "Hi babe" Molly said. "How was the case?"Dan asked, "As usual, I won" Molly said "that calls for a celebration and remember to eat" Dan reminded "of course, see you soon", Molly hung up, entered  her car and drove off.

                     DAWN'S COFFEE

        Molly opened the door to the coffee shop, the bell above the door jingling as she walked in. The smell of freshly ground coffee beans wafted through the air, and she breathed it in, savoring the aroma. As she scanned the room, she spotted Adriana behind the counter, her back to her.
Adriana was busy working, focused on the task at hand. She didn't hear the bell, or the door opening, so she was completely unaware that Molly was there. Molly approached the counter, clearing her throat.
      Adriana turned around and her eyes widened when she saw Molly. "Molly" she exclaimed, a smile breaking out on her face but she immediately hid it and maintained a mean expression. "What brought you here, I thought you said you will never step your foot here?" Adriana questioned. "Anyway, I changed my mind and I want coffee", Molly answered smiling.
"What did I miss, you have always condemned our coffee" Adriana questioned again looking at Molly in the eye. "Forget about that, I actually have some good news to share with you. Do you have few minutes to spare?" Molly asked. Adriana nodded, wiping her hands on her apron. "Of course" she said "we are not too busy right now. So we can chat".
         "Well, I have some good news," Molly began, excitement bubbling up inside her. "I won my  case as the prosecutor in charge!"
Adriana's eyes widened. "Oh my gosh, that's amazing!" she exclaimed. "Congratulations, Molly! That's so exciting. How did it feel to win?"
Molly grinned. "It felt incredible," she said. "I worked so hard on the case, and it was so gratifying to see it pay off. It was definitely a team effort, and I couldn't have done it without the support of my colleagues. But it was an amazing experience". Adriana beamed, happy for her friend. "I'm so proud of you, Molly," she said. "It sounds like it was quite an accomplishment. So, can I ask what the case was about?"
Kate nodded. "Of course," she said. "It was DUI case and my client was badly injured". "What simple case" Adriana said mockingly and Molly glared at her.
          Molly's eyes sparkled as she looked at Adriana. "Not only do I have good news about the case," she said. "But I also have good news about you."
Adriana's eyebrows shot up. "Me?" she asked, her curiosity piqued. "What could possibly be good news about me?"
Molly's grin widened. "I was able to get you a job!" she said. "I saw a vacancy posted online for the post of secretary at FIO- LU HOLDINGS, and I happenned to send your application to the company".
        Adriana's face fell, and she looked confused. "I'm sorry, but I don't understand," she said, her voice tight. "Why would you get me a job as a secretary? That's not what I want to do with my life."
Molly looked taken aback. "I'm sorry, I thought you would be happy," she said, her voice confused. "I thought it would be a great opportunity for you, and that it would be something you would enjoy."
Adriana shook her head. "Molly, I appreciate the gesture, but I'm not interested" she said.
"Chill girl, but the pay is good and it would help you with the bills" Molly assured. "I appreciate your thoughtfulness, but I have never complained about the bills. I'm okay the way I am", Adriana said. "Come off it girl, I know you need this, stop being stubborn", Molly said. "I don't, I knew there was more to you coming here". Adriana said. Just then her phone beeped, "ACCEPT THE JOB" the message read.