CHAPTER NINE

THE THROWN BULLET

  ADRIANA KINGS APARTMENT

       As Michael pulled up at Adriana's house, she thanked him for the ride and stepped out of the car. With a wave, he drove off, and Adriana turned to her front door. She entered the house, taking a moment to savor the comfort of her own space. She took a hot shower, carefully wrapping her hair to keep it dry. She toweled off and got dressed in her most comfortable loungewear, before heading to the kitchen to brew some coffee. As the coffee dripped into the pot, Adriana took out the stack of files from her work bag and set them on the coffee table.
         She sank onto the couch , sipping her coffee and turning on the laptop. She opened the first file and began reading, her mind focused on the task at hand. Just as she was starting to get absorbed in her work, the doorbell rang. She set her laptop aside and got up to answer it. When she opened the door, she saw Molly, her face pale and drawn.
"Molly!" Adriana exclaimed. "What's the matter? Come in."
      As Molly stepped inside, she sunk down onto the couch, her body sagging with exhaustion.
"Already getting hooked up with work?"
Molly asked.
"Yah", Adriana replied sitting close to her.
"You are looking pale, what's the problem?" Adriana asked curiously.
"That guy Romeo came over again", Molly answered as Adriana's eyes widened.
"To do what?"
"Threaten me as usual, but I gave him the piece of my mind".
"Then why are you feeling so down", or did his words get to you", Adriana asked.
"No, no... not at all", Molly stammered.
"Ahhhhh, he really got you there, Adriana said confirming her answer as she continued with her work.
"So how was work today, is he really that rude", Molly asked curiously
" He is a real jerk," Adriana said, letting out a sigh. "He's rude to everyone, but I feel like he's especially tough on me. I just wish I knew how to deal with him."
"Just first day at work and you are planning to deal with your boss, don't get fired before you get paid, I need to rest my head", Molly said as she stood up and entered the bedroom.
     As Adriana continued to sift through the files, she noticed a recurring theme. Many of the reports mentioned issues with the dyeing process, just as she had suspected.
As she continued reading, she noticed a pattern. The problem seemed to occur during the same stage of the process, and the same types of fabric was affected. Suddenly, an idea struck her. What if she could find a way to change the dyeing process so that it worked more effectively?.
       She pulled out a fresh piece of paper and began to sketch out new process, taking into account the pattern she had noticed in the files. She worked late into the night pouring over the files and refining her plan. As hours passed, her excitement grew. This could be the solution they were looking for.
As the sun began to rise, she finally put down her pen, satisfied with her plan. She could feel her eyelids growing heavy. It had been a long night, and she was exhausted. She set the report on her desk, turned off the light, and crawled into bed. As she drifted off to sleep, she felt a sense of satisfaction. She knew she had found the solution to the company's problems, and she couldn't wait to share it with the team. Tomorrow, she would face Luther and make her case. But for now, she needed some rest.

            THE BENSON'S MANSION

          As the morning sun streamed through the windows, Robert sat with his family around the patio table, enjoying the cool breeze and the chirping of the birds. Anne sipped her coffee, while Donovan and Cyrus chatted quietly. Luther sat back in his chair, his eyes fixed on his phone.
"It's really a beautiful day," Robert said, looking around at the group.
"I'm glad we could all get together like this."
"It's great to have a chance to talk about something other than work," Anne said, smiling.
"It's always nice to just relax and enjoy the company of our colleagues." Donovan nodded in agreement.
"This is definitely a nice change of pace," he said.Just then, the reporter on the TV caught everyone's attention.
       "Breaking news - a major scandal have been uncovered at AVANTE GRADE, one of the nation leading providers of Electronic devices and fitness equipments.
New documents and emails suggest that the company has been involved in illegal activities, including bribery and price -fixing. The company's stock price has plummeted in the wake of these revelations, and the Man, Mr Cha who representing the unknown CEO of the company has released a statement denying any wrong doings.
But government officials say they're investigating the matter, and it could have serious consequences for the company and its shareholders.
        This is not the first time that AVANTE GRADE, has been embroiled in controversy. Early last year, the company was accused of distributing a non working treadmill and electronic devices. But the current allegations are much more serious, and could potentially lead to criminal charges. Currently the company rating has dropped from 1st to seventh and this is real bad for them.
We'll continue to follow this story as it develops, and bring you the latest information as we get it.
           As the reporter's face faded from the screen, Robert reached for the remote and clicked the TV off.
"it's really a pity that they are going through this now, what an unfateful day for them, Robert said clearing his throat.
"I don't think we need to hear any more of that," he said, his voice firm. He turned to the others. "I don't want any of us getting distracted by what's going on with other companies. We need to focus on our own success."
Luther's eyes were fixed on his father, and there was an edge to his voice.
"Are you happy that your biggest rival is going down?" he asked, his words coming out more like an accusation than a question. Robert held his son's gaze, his expression unchanged.
"It's not about being happy or unhappy about the fate of other companies," he said, his voice measured. "Our focus should be on making our company the best it can be, not on the successes or failures of others."
"Really", Luther said as his eyes swept across the table, landing on each person in turn.
"Which one of you did this?" he demanded, his voice rising in intensity. No one spoke, and the silence was deafening. Finally, Donovan cleared his throat and said,
"It wasn't any of us".
Luther looked at him suspiciously. "Are you sure?" he asked.
"I know I can trust all of you, but I just want to make sure." Anne cut in,
"Must you be this way?" she asked, her voice tinged with frustration. "Everything is going so well for your father, and you seem unhappy about it.
"if his happiness comes at the expense of others, it's not real happiness", Luther said his voice cold as the others looked at each other, unsure of what to say.
As Luther spoke, his tone was dismissive. "Enjoy it while it lasts," he said, his words tinged with bitterness.
"I have work to do, and don't call me for this type of meeting if you have nothing important to discuss, am a busy man", And with that, he turned on his heel and left the room. The others watched him go, their faces a mix of confusion and concern.
" He is always this way acting as if he is righteous", Anne murmured, shaking her head.
        After a moment of tense silence, Robert stood up and addressed the group. "Let's not allow this to distract us from our work," he said, his voice calm and authoritative. "We have a lot to accomplish, and I know we can do it. Let's put our heads down and get to it, I know him too well he is my son and he will come around". The others nodded, refocusing their attention on the task at hand.
Anne smiled, and a mischievous twinkle lit up her eyes.
"Let's make a toast," she said, raising her glass. "To teamwork and perseverance!" The others raised their glasses, clinking them together with a satisfying tinkle.
"To stronger together!" they echoed, their voices filled with determination. They took a sip of their wine, savoring the moment of unity and shared purpose.

            FIO-LU HOLDINGS

          Luther stormed through the door of his company's building, his face was thunderous. The employees in the lobby stiffened, straightening their backs and avoiding eye contact. They had learned from experience that it was best not to attract his attention when he was in this mood. As he passed by, Adriana greeted him with a polite.
"Good morning," but he brushed past her without a word.
"Drop the files on my desk and head to the meeting room," he barked, his tone cold and commanding.
Adriana nodded, though he wasn't looking at her. Her heart was racing as she gathered the files and headed to his office.
As she entered the office, she couldn't help but notice the faint scent of leather and old books. She glanced around the room and saw bookshelves packed with volumes, some of them with spines so worn that the titles were unreadable. The office had an air of quiet calm, a sharp contrast to the bustling hallway outside. She took a moment to collect herself, then headed out the door and toward the meeting room.

************************************

        As Adriana entered the meeting room, she mistakenly missed her step and felled on the ground.
"Ouch", she screamed in pain touching her ankle as one of the team member came and help her to stand up.
"Thank you", she said as she took her seat.
She noticed  that Luther was sitting at the head of the table, his expression unreadable. The others started discussing their ideas, but Luther remained silent. His lack of engagement hung over the room like a dark cloud, dampening the energy that had been present just moments before. The others started to notice, and the atmosphere became tense, They had all given their opinions but Luther remained silent. They glanced nervously at Adriana, unsure what to do.
As the silence stretched on, Adriana took a deep breath and spoke up.
"I'd like to present my idea, if you'll all indulge me," she said, trying to sound as confident as possible. She laid out her plan, explaining her reasoning in detail. As she spoke, she noticed Luther's eyes on her, his expression still unreadable. When she finished, she glanced around the room, waiting for a response. No one spoke. Then, to everyone's surprise, Luther spoke.  "An interesting idea",Luther said, his voice still cold.
"I have a few questions",
Adriana nodded, and Luther proceeded to ask a series of probing questions. With each question, Adriana felt her confidence wavering. She struggled to answer, feeling like she was being tested. When Luther finished, he simply nodded and said, "Everyone get to work",  with that he left the meeting room.
Adriana sat back in her chair, her heart pounding. She had no idea if her idea had been well received or not.
        After Luther's abrupt exit, the others in the meeting began to file out, some of them stopping to congratulate Adriana on her presentation. Even though she wasn't sure how well it had gone, she appreciated their kindness. When only Adriana and Paul remained, he turned to her and said,
"That was brave of you, Adriana. You really stood your ground." Adriana let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. "Thank you, Paul," she said, relief flooding through her.
"I'm glad you think so."
Paul smiled, and Adriana noticed a hint of admiration in his eyes
. "You've got a gift for this, Adriana," he said. "You really know how to break down complex ideas and make them accessible to everyone. It's a rare talent." Adriana blushed, feeling a surge of pride.
"Thank you, that's very kind of you to say," she replied. Paul nodded, and said.
"I will get going, see you soon".
"Sure", Adriana said as Paul left.
She gathered up her things and left too closing the glass door behind.