CHAPTER 6

THE NEW SECRETARY

DAWN'S COFFEE

The sun streamed through the windows of the coffee shop, illuminating Adriana's long, dark hair as it fell in a perfect bun. She had gotten there early, before the shop had opened, to get a head start on the day. She loved being there in the early morning hours, when the shop was still quiet and the coffee was still brewing. It gave her a chance to center herself and prepare for the busy day ahead.
Adriana began to prepare the shop for the day, arranging the cups and saucers on the counter, wiping down the tables, and setting out the pastries as she sang and danced around the shop.
As Adriana continued with what she was doing, four of her colleagues entered and greeted her.
"Hey, guys!" Adriana said replying to their greetings with a smile on her face. "How's it going?"
"It's going great!" one of them replied, her voice full of cheer. "And how are you doing today?"
"I'm doing well," Adriana said, her smile still in place.
As they continue with the business of the day with much customers to serve, Adriana went on to serve one male customer who had his gaze on her for a long time. She walked over to the customer table with a smile. "What can I offer you sir?" she asked as she tried to put on a professional smile though inside she was feeling anything but professional.
"Hot Americano coffee" the man said looking at her lustfully, Adriana noticed the way the man was staring at her but feigned ignorant as she went on to bring his order.
Few minutes later, Adriana returned to the man table carrying his order, as she bent down to place the the coffee on the table, and as she did so, she felt something brush against her arm. She looked up to see the customer staring at her, his eyes fixed on her chest. He just touched her breast.
"Did you really just do that?" Adriana asked, her voice trembling with rage. "What's the matter with you?"
The man just smirked at her, a smug look on his face. "What? I just couldn't help myself," he said, leering at her. "You're so...inviting."
Adriana was shaking now, a mixture of anger and fear coursing through her veins.
"So how much for a night?" the man asked chewing his gum loudly as his eyes hovered around Adriana's body.
"Excuse me, am not for sale", Adriana said her voice firm, "I am a person not an object and I will not be treated as such".
"Really, what a decent woman", the man said sarcastically and laughed making Adriana's anger to boil more.
"Just tell me how much I will pay to have you on my bed tonight, you don't look ordinary, your mates here do it and am sure you know about it", the man said as Adriana took a deep breath trying to dilute what she just heard.
"Sorry to disappoint you sir but am completely different", Adriana said.
"Come on, you look like a slut, your shape everything in you described it", the man suddenly said annoyingly and Adriana's anger got up high a little bit.
"What did you say?" Adriana asked
"You are a complete slut", the man repeated.
Adriana couldn't control her anger any longer as she felt her hand ball into a fist. It took all of her willpower to resist the urge to lash out, but when he finally said something that crossed the line, she couldn't help herself. Without thinking, she slapped him across the face, the sound echoing through the room.
As the man reeled from the blow, Adriana stood there, her own hand stinging from the force of the slap. In the silence that followed, she could feel the weight of what she had done, and she knew there was no going back.
The man raised his face to look at her, his hand still holding his burning cheek.
"Anything you want to do?" Adriana asked looking unconcerned.
" I will make you pay for this", the man said standing up.
"Do your worst, am really ready for it", Adriana said as she walked closer to the man looking at him in the eye.
"I will wait, I like challenges", she said as the man boil in anger, he shifted from her and started calling out to Ms. Jones.
In not less than few minutes, Ms Jones hurried out from her office .
"I want her fired", the man shouted angrily pointing at Adriana.
"Really, no need for that young man, here is my resignation letter", Adriana said handing the paper over to Ms Jones who was lost.
"Adriana, what have you done, you slapped a customer, I have always warned you girls to keep cool even if they do anything to you, that's the main rule of this place", Ms Jones hollered
"Keep cool! for how long Ms Jones, I have done that for a long period of time and each time I do it, I see myself regretting it.
I can't do it anymore Ms Jones, other girls can do it but for me am fucking done with this godforsaken job", Adriana thundered leaving Ms Jones and her colleagues in shock.
"I see this is your way out, Adriana turned to the man and said, "I think you have done your worst, am certainly not your league", she said and carried her bag from the counter before leaving the shop banging the glass door behind her.