3: Questions Answered (Not Really)

Eventually, you ended up in a giant room. Practically every wall was covered in shelves that held hundreds upon thousands of books. There were even more shelves scattered around the room, still filled with books.

Yet, there was enough room for a staircase to lead up to another level of the book room and spaces for areas with tables and chairs.

Your chest was heaving, and you couldn't hear the creature anymore, so you dropped to the ground, laying flat on it as you caught your breath. At some point, you rolled onto your back and looked up to the ceiling of the room.

There were books floating all over the place, some even moving about and putting themselves back onto the shelves.

You quickly sat up, intrigued by all this magic. Back in your home, your mother's spell books and cook books could never fly or even float.

You felt your heart drop at the memory, and you quickly brought your hands up to your face and wiped at your eyes with the back of your wrists, to keep yourself from crying.

As soon as you knew you wouldn't cry anymore, you brought your knees to your chest and wrapped your arms around your legs. Looking down at your shoes, you wanted to go back home and see your mother again.

"...If this is a dream, I wanna wake up..." You quietly mumbled to yourself, burying your face in the small crevice between your knees and breasts.

But thanks to their being lanterns on in the library, you could still see despite having put your face in a dark space. Lifting your head back up, you looked down at yourself, paying attention to your clothing now.

Your outfit had drastically changed. Instead of the patchwork dress you'd been wearing made from rags, the shoes you'd made from gumdrops, and the apron your mother had given you, was something else entirely.

It was a weird looking kind of robe, but still fancy all the same. With fully black long-sleeved undershirt and long underpants, no skin was visible apart from your hands, face, and neck. There was a pair of pointy-toed shoes that were mostly black, but the toes were gold and the bit separating the two colours was purple. The robes had long sleeves that covered your hands if you dropped them, and a thing that looked like a skirt that went down just past your knees. It didn't fall apart because of a thick purple belt, made of the same fabric as the rest of it, held it all together with a gold clasp.

You blink a few times in surprise, touching the fabric to discover how soft it felt. You found a small dip in the belt, and put the iolite in there, not really wanting to carry it for who knows how much longer.

With both your hands now empty, you run them through your hair, slightly working out the few tangles that formed from all the running. While doing that though, you're fingers brush against the soft fabric of a hood that's connected to the robes.

You pull the hood up over your head, the hem of the hood coming over half of your forehead and slightly hiding your face in a shadow. You couldn't help but feel slightly safer with your face hidden from prying eyes, despite nobody being around.

But you couldn't revel in that sense of safety for long, as a plume of blue fire shot past you. And Grim ran into the giant room full of books.

He stopped in front of you, paws on his hipbone(?) as he stood on his hind legs. "Did you really think you could get away from my nose? Dumb human!" He smirked as he insulted you, almost as if he believed he was a higher being then you, which he honestly could be with his capability of breathing fire.

"If you don't wanna get roasted, better hand over-" Grim didn't get to finish what he was saying as a loud whipping noise rung out in the air.

You flinched at the sound; that sounded like it'd really hurt.