Chapter 3

A moment of confusion crossed Reni's face. "Lunch is included in our conference fees."

"Exactly," his smile was highlighted by a beard framing his strong jaw. "You can tell me more about your story. I'm interested."

"We would love to have you join us," Deloris drawled. "You can tell us all about your life in Morocco."

Shonty stepped between them. "I've always wanted to visit but haven't made it there yet. I did go on a trip to Egypt. Loved it."

Reni took out her phone and glanced at the time. "We better hustle."

"There's plenty of time." Deloris placed a motherly hand on her arm. "I've checked the schedule, and we have a few hours after lunch to get settled into our rooms before the opening speaker. There's plenty of time to eat."

"And to tell me about what each of you is writing." Zak paced next to the three women. "Though Deloris, I can guess from what you shared it is likely a very dark, dangerous, and possibly gruesome murder mystery."

"You'll have to let me read your story too so I can critique it harshly," Reni shot back.

He laughed. "Done."

She hadn't been joking.

They headed off to the cafeteria, walking along the cobbled, tree-lined pathways that wound through campus.

Deloris and Shonty pulled ahead, leaving Zak and Reni on their own as they meandered by the stately brick buildings with high towers and turrets adding additional pageantry and splendor.

The conversation came easy, discussion centering on their favorite authors, Faulkner for him and Laurie Halse Anderson for her.

"I have not heard of her," he said.

"She is a young adult author. She captures the lives of teens so well. My students can relate to what she writes."

"Do you like being a teacher?" he asked.

Reni's gaze flickered to a group of teens, part of a summer program, circled up under a tree, and the older college students chatting as they strode along the walkways on the way to summer classes.

Education had always been part of her life and something she'd wanted since she was a child, forcing her friends to follow along with her lessons.

"It has challenges, but I love my students. Every day is an adventure, and I never thought I'd want to do anything else until I started writing my book."

"You can do both."

"That's the plan for now." The air smelled of food carts and dogwood trees. She breathed it all in. "Where are you from in Morocco?"

"Marrakesh. It is an amazing city, but a strange time to be a journalist there. Not long ago, reporters were being imprisoned. Some remain jailed today, including street journalists, one who happens to be a close friend. He was detained after writing about protests happening in the country."

"What was being protested?"

"Over the last few years, many Moroccans have experienced a gap between the promised freedoms and the reality of an oppressive government. Being a journalist can be dangerous. A single tweet can land you in jail."

"I would have never guessed. I always thought Morocco was progressive."

He ran his hand through his short-cropped, raven hair. "For the most part it is, but there's been a slow erosion of liberties, especially for the press."