Chapter 27

After the ride, Reni and Zak returned to the riad.

"I want to shower away the camel," she joked.

"May I join you?" He didn't wait for an answer but slipped her shirt over her head.

Once relieved of her clothes, she eyed her wrist to remove the charm bracelet. Her mouth fell open. "It's gone. My bracelet is gone." Tears welled as panic flooded. Reni grabbed a clean t-shirt out of her luggage and threw it on.

They started to search the room.

"It must be here or at least close by." Zak pulled a pillow off the bed and ran his hands over the coverlet.

They scoured the entire room again, but the charm bracelet was nowhere.

"I can't believe I lost it. I shouldn't have brought it. All my important moments are gone like that."

Zak called the expedition company where they had taken the camel ride. "Closed. I got a message. I'll call back tomorrow."

They sat on the edge of the bed.

"I need a glass of wine." Reni pulled her hair into a high ponytail.

"I'll open the bottle we bought the other day."

"If I was in America, I could just call room service."

"True, but my city has much to offer as well."

The loss of her bracelet upset Reni, and she said something meant to make Zak as raw as she felt in the moment. "But not your mom's blessing."

"Nothing is set in stone." Zak hesitated. "I thought we'd come to a decision."

"Maybe I'm rethinking it."

"Please don't."

She pushed away the impending sadness, replacing it with anger. "What would I do if I moved here? I'm not staying at home. Nothing against it, but I love teaching."

"We need teachers here too. You don't have to stop doing what you love. We have schools that cater to international students."

"It's possible they wouldn't even want me."

"They would. You are an excellent teacher."

"We need journalists in the United States," she countered.

"I feel like we've discussed this, and we're backtracking now. It's a hard decision, but my mother has no one."

"My family will miss me if I move here." Reni paced the room, unable to contain her agitation.

"They're much younger and seem to enjoy the adventures of travel. My mother, not so much."

"What about my cats?" she demanded.

"They're allowed in the country too," he laughed.

"That's not funny. I'm not sure I can bring them here."

"We'll find out the answers. I'm a journalist. It's what I do."

"I have to sacrifice my life for your mother. The woman doesn't even like me."

"We sacrifice because we want to build a life together."

"My lost bracelet tells another story." Emotions rushed to the surface when she thought of what her bracelet represented. "It's time to call it a night."

"You don't want me to stay?"

"You can't. Remember. Her frown stayed in place. "I need a little space."

He was reluctant to leave and hovered at the door before opening it.

"Go!" Reni's hands hit the air.

"I'll be back early so we can find your bracelet."

"It's gone. Let's face facts."

He kissed her cheek, concerned eyes echoing his own frown. "I love you," he said before leaving.

The door thudded behind him. Reni ran to the bed and sat, punching the pillow before succumbing to sobs. She cried long and hard into it, and that night it felt like everything might be falling apart. Reni couldn't help but wonder how something so small could make such a big impact.