Chapter 29

As she dressed to go out, Reni's thoughts were conflicted, and she remained doubtful. They had to confront Bisma at dinner, and the idea made her stomach churn.

Reni understood the importance of family in Zak's culture, and Bisma was a strong-willed and traditional mother. In some ways, Reni could understand the older woman's concern, but this situation called for a little bit of compromise, something sorely lacking in the woman. She was sure the older woman always envisioned her son marrying someone who embodied the values and customs of their culture. That was not her.

She could imagine what Bisma thought when Zak introduced her during the trip. His mom's heart must have sunk like a stone in a pond when meeting the woman from America who stole her son. There was obvious disapproval that her son had chosen someone who didn't follow the Muslim faith even though Zak himself wasn't devoted.

It was late when they strolled through the bustling streets, and Reni would never forget the vibrant colors and exotic scents. One part of her wished she could live here and walk these streets every day but not if they couldn't come to some reconciliation with his mother.

The restaurant, small and crowded, smelled of ginger and turmeric. Laughter and conversation filled the air around her. Bisma was already seated, and as soon as they joined her, she fidgeted in her chair. Reni thought the older woman looked like a lion, ready to pounce on her prey.

"I need to talk to you both." Bisma's words were terse.

Zak, sensing his mother's agitation, replied. "That's why we're here. We want to understand your concerns better."

"This American is not the right match for you." The older woman's gaze fixed on the water glass in front of her.

Reni gasped.

Zak asked, "Why do you say that? Reni is kind-hearted, intelligent, and she loves me deeply. Isn't that what matters the most?"

"Right here next to you," Reni added.

Bisma sighed, her wrinkled hands clutching her purse, giving her attention only to her son. "I understand she has good qualities, but her upbringing and cultural background are so different from ours. Will she be able to adapt to our way of life? What about our traditions and values? I don't think she will, which means both of you will be miserable in the long term. Marriage is hard enough. To start with such a gulf between you is a recipe for disaster."

"Again, right here. Don't talk like I'm not around." Reni turned to Zak, and he squeezed her hand under the table.

Reni opened her mouth to continue, but Zak jumped in before she could say more. "Your worry comes from a good place, but our love is bigger than one culture or another. Traditions and values are important, but there's more to a relationship than that. We have mutual respect. That will help us figure out the things that concern you. You're also ignoring that Reni has been willing to embrace our culture in many ways. She's a teacher and wants to continue to learn about it as much as I want to learn about her life. Isn't that what we should be focusing on?"

"I think I've seen enough of your culture after the gift your mom sent." Reni interrupted, annoyed that she was being snubbed in a conversation centered around her thoughts and feelings. She refused to stay quiet any longer. "What did you mean by that? What was the point?"

"You're not doing enough," Bisma spat out. She hesitated for a moment and then spoke again. "Of course, I want what's best for Zak, but I fear that cultural differences may create conflict in the future. This relationship will end badly and tarnish Zak's reputation. That I believe."

"You're the only one creating conflict." Reni eyed the menu, thinking about what she wanted to say next. Unfortunately, her glance at the food options drew the waiter over, and the discussion stalled as they ordered.

A momentary silence surrounded them, and Zak took a deep breath before speaking. "We all need a minute to rethink our positions."

"Is that a possibility for everyone at the table?" Reni kneaded her napkin.

"Think about the question like a journalist. You need all the facts, and you need to consider the situation from different angles. I don't think either of you has done that yet."

"It is not that easy." Bisma regarded her son. "You are a little blind because love is not rational."

Zak frowned. "Our love and respect can bridge any differences. Reni and I have spent countless hours discussing our hopes, dreams, cultures, and how our future will look together. She's open-minded and accepting. She'll honor our traditions and respect our values."

She examined her son and saw the conviction in his eyes, and her gaze softened. Until she turned it on Reni. "You haven't spent enough time together to do the things you said. Your rushed relationship will doom you to failure. At least, take more time. Spend a year or two finding out if this is best for both of you. You aren't getting any younger, but what is a year or two before marrying?"

Reni set her mouth in a tight line. She held back the words that wanted to rush out. None of them were pleasant, and some should not be said in polite company or public spaces.

Bisma pointed a finger at her. "You cannot even wear the gift I sent over. It was custom-made and so beautiful."

"Ommi," Zak said. It sounded more like a warning than an endearment.

Reni sat back in the chair. "I didn't know I was supposed to wear it today. I can't read your mind, but that doesn't even matter. I shouldn't feel the pressure to wear something I am not comfortable in."

Zak tried to grab Reni's hand. "Calm down."

She pulled it away. "Don't tell me what to do."

"This is exactly what I mean," Bisma said.

"I lost my appetite, and I'm done with this conversation. Zak, you can stay, but I'm going back." Reni stood.

"Don't leave," he begged. "We can work this out."

"I don't think so." She stared down at him. "Are you coming?"

Zak shook his head. "I'll stay and try to find a solution. You're walking away too soon."

"Fine. You do that." Reni marched out the door.

The streets were crowded, the roads narrow, and the vendors vexing. A gray pall fell over the colors and lights she had so recently enjoyed, and she wasn't sure if anything could put the sparkle back into Marrakesh. 

This time Reni had no trouble finding her way back to her accommodations alone.