Chapter 22

With her answer, the horses set off at a gallop, Amira keeping pace and then surging ahead.

Reni jerked back on the reins. Instead of responding and slowing, Amira shook her head and galloped forward, driving into the lead.

"Pull back!" A voice boomed from behind her.

Hearing Chadi's directions, she tugged harder on the reins, but Amira surged farther ahead. Panic and exhilaration rushed through her. Experience and training had kept her on her mount so far, but clearly the horse had a mind of its own.

Two large surfers sprang from the water's edge, boards in tow. She tugged hard on the reins to pull Amira to a stop before colliding with them.

The surfer's startled eyes locked on horse and rider. At the last possible second, they scattered. Amira skidded to a stop and bucked, throwing Reni out of her saddle and onto the horse's neck.

Amira danced in circles. Reni held tight, secure for a few seconds. Another buck launched her further forward, foot falling out of the stirrup. Her weight on Amira's mane sent the horse into a spin. She slid sideways in the saddle. Only years of training kept her from hitting the ground.

Squeezing her thighs against the horse, she held on until the animal quieted. Amira dragged in rapid breaths but stayed in one spot.

Reni pulled herself upright, an ache starting in her arms, her back tense and pinching.

Zak dismounted and hurried to her side.

Amira huffed, frightened eyes growing larger as he came close, hands waving. "Are you okay?" He stared up at her, lips set in a thin, tense line.

She leaned back, stiff in the saddle, fingers gripping the reins, knuckles white. "Fine."

"Chadi told you to rein him back." His hands shook as he used them to push back the brown sweaty, and lank hair that clung to his forehead.

"I tried." Shifting the reins into one hand, she mimicked his movements, forcing the escaped curls out of her face. "I did the best I could. I have no experience with surfers leaping out of the water."

"Everyone okay here?" Chadi asked.

The rest of the group joined them, waiting to make sure the runaway horse and rider were unharmed.

"I'm fine." Reni gave everyone a weak smile.

"You could have been really hurt." Zak's hands anchored against his hips, forming triangles at each side.

Reni's adrenaline had ebbed while her annoyance grew. Zak's reaction was unwarranted. Emotion leaked into her words when she faced him. "What do you want? A written note of apology? Can we please go on with the ride? Everyone is waiting for you to get back on your horse."

He stepped away, nodded, and mounted up.

Chadi led them down the beach in a slow walk.

No longer enjoying the ride, anger took hold. She wanted something to focus on other than Zak's reaction, and those were her own faults. She was mad at herself for not controlling the horse. Never losing focus was one of the first rules of riding, but she'd been overly confident in her skills.

Even so, her thoughts kept circling back to Zak. Vexed, Reni couldn't fathom why he'd turned evil when she'd almost fallen off. Shouldn't he have been the first person to comfort and support her? Was this another warning sign she needed to heed?

Happy when they dismounted for lunch, Reni joined the small entourage as they hiked across a sandy dune to a photoshoot-worthy picnic spread. Rattan-topped stools and a table overflowing with food and drink greeted her. A tent supported solely by sticks provided shade from the heat and sun, a beachfront version of a Bedouin camp.

Reni sat and watched Chadi's team prepare the seaside meal. A platter of freshly shucked oysters sourced from the neighboring farms arrived first. Reni grabbed one, enjoying the briny tang of the raw mollusk.

Next, a spider crab the size of a coconut was set on her plate. She took a sip of the light, floral white wine before digging in, trying to decide how to best eat the beast on her plate.

Chadi stepped in to help. "Start with the claws. The meat there is most flavorful."

"Thanks." Reni gingerly pulled one of the spindly legs apart.

Chadi pointed to the wine. "It comes from the port town of Essaouira where camels plow the organic vines. The wine pairs extremely well with seafood."

Reni took another sip. "It's lovely."

"Be careful not to get a midday buzz," Len said from his seat next to her.

Still not speaking to Zak, she was grateful for the company of others. "How do you like the lunch?"

"As good as any New York restaurant." He took an ample sip of wine and then refilled his glass. He pointed the bottle in her direction.

"I'm good for now."

"I've enjoyed getting to know you over the past few days, Reni."

"It's been fun."

"I bet we share a lot of interests."

"What do you like to do?"

Len winked. "The possibilities are endless. A spontaneous road trip, a candlelit dinner, or perhaps a moonlit stroll on the beach. I'm open to suggestions. But based on this trip, it's easy to see we both like a little adventure in our lives. Day to day, I run and play pickleball."

"I've been meaning to try it."

"It's a lot of fun. A ton of new courts opened up in the city when it became popular."

He took another bite of the delicate crab meat. "What's your favorite food?"

"Pizza."

"You ever had New York style pizza?"

"No."

"You should come visit."

"That's sweet." Reni could feel Zak stiffen next to her. "Maybe one day."

"You're overstepping, Len." Zak rumbled from next to her. "She's unavailable.

"I'm just making conversation." Len held up his hands in mock defeat. "Chill, Bro."

"I am not your Bro, and it's disrespectful to try and start something with another man's woman."

"I'm not starting anything," Len said.

"I'm not your woman." Reni swung her body to face Zak. "I'm not some pet you can control. I can speak with whomever I want. Say what I want, and, if a problem arises, defend myself." She stood and looked between them. "You're both acting like children." Stepping away from the table, Reni walked to the water's edge.

A few minutes later, Len joined her. "I hope I'm not intruding. I totally get that you're in a relationship, and I didn't mean anything by my comment. I hope we can still be friends."

"Of course."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cause any problems."

"Thanks, Len." She turned to look back, finding Zak still at the table. "I should go talk to him and figure this all out."

They trudged through the sand dunes before going their separate ways. Len joined his brother and sister-in-law, who were enjoying the waves at the ocean's edge.

Reni sat next to Zak.

Chadi beckoned the group together and spoke before she had a chance. "We have a treat for you this afternoon. I'm sure you're sore from your hours in the saddle, so we have a traditional Moroccan Hamman ritual for you to experience. We'll walk to the village ─it's close, don't worry─ and spend the afternoon there. After the spa, you are free to roam the town until the van picks you up at six for dinner at our camp. This way."

Zak grabbed Reni's hand. "Let's enjoy the afternoon. We can talk tonight. I trust you completely, and I'm sorry."

She opened her mouth to say something but then closed it. He was right; the conversation could wait.