Chapter 10

Reni's fingers played against her chapped lips the next morning as she sat on the terrace, drinking mint tea and nibbling away at a light breakfast. She watched the people come and go below and waited for Zak to return.

As she waited, she wrote, the words spilling forth with fervor. She chronicled her trip, but delved into her feelings and thought about the character she was writing in her fictional story. That girl, also on a journey probably had similar emotions, the newness of everything, insecurities about all the things she didn't understand, the fear of the unknown, and the excitement of possible adventures.

The character in her book was too young for the joy of true love, but Reni soaked it in like the morning sun. Had she been wrong to say no to Zak? Her life could have been an epic romance if she'd said yes to his proposal. Taking a deep inhale, she centered on the reality of the situation. Finding out if they were meant to be together was the goal of the trip. That was the reason she was having this amazing adventure in the first place. She was ready to enjoy every minute.

Zak had left after an amazing few hours in bed or his mother would have worried but promised to return at nine and take her on an adventure. She questioned him about where they were headed, but he refused to divulge any details.

Nine came and went. Soon ten came and went as well. She called his phone. Nothing. She couldn't sit around. The best part of any vacation was exploring and she'd studied up on Morocco before leaving for her trip. She's put in the time studying the culture and history, wanting to arrive prepared.

Leaving Zak a message on his phone, Reni asked her hosts for information on what to do.

"You're a teacher, no?"

"That's correct."

"You must visit Ben Youssef Madrasa. It is a 14th century school. While students no longer attend there, it is a beautiful and fascinating place to spend the day."

"Sounds perfect. Can you give me directions?"

"Will you not wait for your gentleman friend?"

She wasn't sure if it was cultural or concern for a single woman traveling alone that caused them to suggest she wait for someone to go, but Reni didn't want to postpone her adventure. "I'm sure I can find it on my own. I'll be careful."

Once directions were dispersed, she set out for Ben Youssef Madrasa. Reni was supremely proud of herself when she made it and couldn't wait to tell Zak "I told you so."

Wandering through the building, the beautiful blue, green, and brown tile design fascinated her as she wove through the courtyard. She inspected the ornate architecture and climbed the stairs to view the long-ago student bedrooms where, leaning out a window, she watched people swarm below.

Waking up here, ready to learn, seemed as dream-like as the tales in Arabian Nights. The bedrooms were small, and she was sure they had been spartan, but an air of respect for learning hung in the air and Reni drank it in.

It had been relatively early when she arrived, but as she headed out into the streets after visiting the school, an oppressive heat stung like bees. As she attempted to return to the riad, motorcycles buzzed by, pushing her closer to the stalls where men sold wares. Some attempted to grab her arm or yelled at her to come close and buy something. She hurried away flustered, but in doing so made a wrong turn. Disoriented, she was lost in minutes, even as the GPS on her phone failed.

Walking aimlessly, she felt caught in a paradox of the modern and primeval. Exhaust fumes, frying oil, and cloistering heat had her swaying on her feet. She stepped into a shadowy alley and leaned against the wall.