Chapter 25

Reni was both happy and exhausted on the third day of their adventure. The group was heading out to ride in the desert, and she was still astounded by the many different worlds that existed a short drive from Marrakesh. She loved the city but appreciated the diversity she'd had the privilege to witness over the last few days, from the Atlantic Ocean to the Sahara Desert.

On the van ride to the group's starting point, Chadi told them more about the area they'd be visiting. "We can run in the desert if everyone is up for it." He pointed at Reni.

"I'm1 fine. Really. If others want to gallop, I am happy to do the same," she said. "It happens, horses spook."

"Good to know you're recuperated and ready to continue." Chadi revealed some more information. "We're heading to an area where nomads camp, so you may see their sheep, goats, or camels."

"Don't let any of them jump out at you," Sarah joked.

"I'll try not to," Reni shot back. She pointed at the other people in the van. "Maybe it's your turn."

"We'll make sure that doesn't happen," Chadi said. "It's a three-hour horseback ride today and then lunch in Erfoud. After that, we'll deliver you back to Marrakesh. It was a great ride, lots of fun, and a little adventure. I hope you enjoy the last day."

Reni and Zak found themselves mounting their horses in a small village on the outskirts of the desert. She'd miss Amira and rubbed the horse's neck gently as they set forth.

Reni and Zak followed Chadi's lead as they ventured into the vastness of the Sahara. The rhythmic sound of hooves on the golden sand filled the air, harmonizing with the whispers of the desert wind. The landscape seemed to stretch infinitely before them, with rolling dunes reaching towards the horizon.

Riding deeper into the desert, the dunes shifted like waves, their shapes sculpted by the wind. The sun painted the sand in hues of ginger and gold, casting a surreal glow upon the vast expanse. Chadi shared stories of the nomadic tribes that had traversed these lands for centuries, their customs, and how they survived the extreme climate.

After a couple of hours of riding, a sight beyond any described in her romance novels rose before her. The group ventured to a hidden oasis nestled amidst the dunes. Her anticipation grew, and Reni urged her horse forward for a short run, dunes rising into towers and then dissipating around her as she cantered by them. A small, lush sanctuary amidst the arid desert flourished. Palm trees swayed, their fronds providing shade and solace.

The group took a much-needed break. Dismounting their horses, Chadi handed them bottled water. An inviting crystal-clear spring flowed through the oasis, and Reni and Zak walked towards the small pool. She ran her hand through the water before rubbing the back of her neck, the tingle of coolness on her skin delicious.

Away from the others, she basked in the moment's serenity, senses delighted by the sights and sounds of nature in the otherwise barren landscape. It reminded her that hidden gems waited to be discovered amidst life's challenges. Again, she wanted to journal right then and there but had left all her gear on the van. She'd have to wait until later to write down her thoughts and ideas.

She sat and stretched her sore muscles, happy the ride was uneventful, the horses accustomed to the dry heat. Even though Chadi had told them it would reach ninety degrees, she didn't feel overwhelmingly warm. Maybe she was adjusting to the climate.

After the break, they ended the ride in the small town of Erfoud, a few miles away. Reni and Zak found a restaurant in the square after strolling the extensive palm grove that made up the center avenue. From their rooftop perch, they took in the tower and striking panoramic views of the sprawling desert.

"Are you happy to return to Marrakesh?" Zak asked.

"To be honest, I'm not sure." Reni took a bite of her chickpea salad, giving herself a minute to think. "I like it when it's the two of us. That's a little selfish of me, but it's easier."

"I understand. My family, especially my mother, can be a lot."

"I'm sure it'll be fine, more than fine when we go back."

"A little sad too. You only have a few days before you return to the United States."

"The trip's gone faster than I expected it would. I can't believe I have to leave you."

"We have some choices to make soon." He twirled his fork around the tomato salad in his bowl but didn't take a bite.

"Let's enjoy lunch and this last day. We can tackle those problems tomorrow."

"Whatever you want. Your wish is my command."

"Keep talking like that, and I'm going to want to stay here forever."

"Really?"

"I might be getting used to this place."

Zak raised his glass of cola and tapped hers. "To Morocco."

After lunch, they spent a few minutes in the small souq, and Reni relished the unbelievable views of the quaint town dotted with sand dunes at the edge of the Sahara Desert. The place found its way into her heart, and she hoped they'd be able to visit it once again.

The van ride back to Marrakesh was somber, and saying goodbye to Mark, Sarah, and Len was sad. They promised to keep in touch and planned a reunion back in the States.

Reni had always been adventurous, and this trip showed her that sometimes bold journeys led to the biggest and often the best changes. She'd started to ride a horse at four years old, studied abroad in college, and jumped at the chance to chaperone school trips. Those things had taught her many life lessons and took her places she'd never thought she'd go. The writing conference had brought Zak into her life.

Now they could voyage through life together. She wanted that. They'd enjoyed the breathtaking landscapes of Morocco even more because they could share it. Excitement filled her. She longed to see new horizons, both literally and figuratively. Wouldn't coming here allow her to do that?

She could teach or write or find an entirely new career. Most important, she'd be with Zak. As for her parents and friends' concerns, this trip had shown them to be unjustified. Zak didn't want to leave. He wasn't using her to come to America. With modern technology, she could be in constant contact with everyone back home.

While not ready to tell Zak, Reni decided her future.