‡Chapter 1 - Celebrations ‡

"As long as you are not aware of the continual law of Die and Be Again, you are merely a vague guest on a dark Earth." —Johann Wolfgang von Goethe  

Adore Manor Castle in Ireland as the setting for the Vilgrain Manor  :)^^^^^^^^^

On the eve before my birthday, 14th December, 1642. My birthday was on the fifteenth. The snow outside was heavy but I was unusually not cold. I was happily drinking my cup of coco in front of the fireplace at the servant's lounge, enjoying the warm trickle of heat sliding down my throat. I was sitting on the floor when Dianne had suddenly called for me.

"Eli" her voice had a sort of motherly authority in them "come here, darling"

It was not too demanding but not too soft either, like silk against sandpaper. Rather, it sounded like if, and only if, I wanted to know, I'll come. How I knew, even I was not sure. And I desperately wanted to know about myself. How I came to be with her, this household... This job...

And so I came slowly and cautiously at first.

I remember the excitement I felt, the feel of the cold marble floors against the soles of my feet, and the earthy smell of oak wood as I finally arrived at the big, wooden doors separating me and Dianne. I breathed in a heavy sigh and slowly slid the doors open, feeling the smooth surface of the oak doors on my fingertips.

"Is it finally time?" I asked meekly, breaking the silence.

Dianne was wearing an unreadable expression while standing in front of the blazing fireplace. It was behind her, giving her somewhat, dark features, as the light was against my eyes. She only nodded and answered "Yes my dear Elizabeth. It is."

She sat at the wooden chair positioned in front of the heat while I proceeded to sit on the floor and lay my head on Dianne's lap, something I'm accustomed to doing. Dianne's silky smooth dress against my neck was warm and utterly comfortable.

The suspense was slowly killing me. Say something Dianne.

Anything.

Finally she broke the silence with "I guess you already know why I called you?" she started.

I nodded in her lap, not quite looking into her eyes.

"I do" I replied quietly.

I waited patiently for her to continue, my head still on her lap. I've waited eighteen years already; I'm sure a few minutes is nothing. Patience Elizabeth, Dianne is already willing to share.

She heaved a heavy sigh and finally spoke. "It was nighttime then, my dear. Like any normal evening, I was just about done cleaning the master's quarters, when I heard a knock from downstairs." She stated with a small laugh "Very unusual, I thought then, because I wasn't informed of an arrival. So I went down, straight towards the front door, opened it, and found... nothing."

"Nothing?" my eyebrows knitted together in confusion, but I knew she couldn't see me.

"Yes. Nothing.... And that is when I heard the cry from the back. That is when realization hit me and I knew that the knock came from the backdoor and not through the front."

I made eye contact and saw half her face in light, and the other in shadows. "And that's where you found me?"

She gave a nod "Yes. That's where I found you. You were in a tiny little basket, sleeping like a little angel." she paused for a bit and I shifted my head to lie on her lap once more. She started stroking my hair. "Your hair was so smooth, and as golden as the sun that sets at the horizon, even if there were only a few. Your eyes were so bright against the stars. Your skin was almost glowing by the moonlight, it was like you were delivered by the heavens." She said with a small laugh "Surely, I thought, this bundle of perfection wasn't mine to keep. After all, how could anyone give away such an angel?" As I looked up to see Dianne's expression, tears formed in my eyes, I saw hers were glossy. She was in a trance, it was like she was reliving those moments all over again.

It was the same question I was asking all these years. How could they get rid of me? Don't they love me? Why? Was I not good enough? Maybe I wasn't supposed to be born? If I am as perfect as she claims me to be, then why? An unknown tear slid down my face.

Why? I guess that was the question, wasn't it? Another thought came to mind.

"Why didn't you marry Dianne?" I blurted mindlessly.

She just shrugged and laughed a little "I waited for someone who was never planning to come back."

"Oh.." I finished lamely "I'm sorry. I- I didn't know..."

"It is fine child, worry not. It was a long time ago." she dismissed. I had hurt her, I knew. Somehow, that man had hurt Dianne by leaving her and never coming back. He was heartless.

"I have something for you" Dianne said, breaking my train of thought.

"Really Dianne?" I wiped my tear-stained face with the back of my hand "You really shouldn't have."

"Well, your birthday is tomorrow, isn't it?" she clearly didn't notice my tears, or just chose to ignore it.

"Yes, indeed. What is it?" I painted my best smile. Knowing Dianne, she never could resist me.

She pretended to tap her chin with her pointing finger "Let's see."

"Oh Dianne, please?" I begged.

" I don't know."

"Please??"

"Oh all right." She had a motherly smile on her lips.

I squealed in glee, the sound bouncing off the stone walls in the kitchen. "Yes!!!!" I boasted.

"Shush child!! The master might hear you!!!" Dianne said hurriedly "I change my mind... Why I-I'll just give it to you first thing in the morning. Good night Eli." She kissed my forehead hurriedly and rushed through the oak doors, creaking as she made her way outside. "I promise" she whispered, and then she shut the doors upon her leave.

I just sat there flabbergasted, mouth hung agape while still on the floor.

What happened? One moment she was here, the next she's gone. It was like everything that happened moments ago was all a dream. I was left in the kitchen, with the fire as my only companion.

There is also the fact that I might have woken up the master.