‡Chapter 18- The Truth I Seek‡

"He made me feel unhinged . . . like he could take me apart and put me back together again and again." ―   Chelsie Shakespeare

20th December, 1643

Everything was pale white. I squinted at the sight but my eyes had adjusted minutes after. I looked down and saw that I was wearing a white dress and looking further underneath had confirmed that I was, indeed, barefooted.

So that's why it was cold.

I started walking with no destination in mind, straight-forward. I just kept walking for a few minutes.

A few minutes more of walking, I stopped, spotting a figure in the distance.

It wasn't moving. The frame was rather large and remained unmoving in the distance.

It must be a man's.

I ran towards the figure. It was becoming clearer now with our closing distance.

Once he came into view recognition flashed in my eyes. I opened my arms out wide and crashed my body against his to engulf him in an embrace.

"Eli" he said. "I am glad to see you are well"

I smiled in his chest "Regan" I breathed out. "So am I, where have you been!?!"

He chuckled. Though, I could not trace any humor in his voice. "Why do you worry for me, when it is he that you are with?" he teased.

I kept silent. The entire time I kept my embrace as tight as I could, but he did not return the gesture.

I wanted him to. I don't know why.

He spoke again.

"I cannot keep on hoping for a person to love me if it pains me so much that she cares for another in this lifetime." He had finally wrapped his arms around my waist, radiating warmth.

"What do you mean? You are mistaken Regan" I said. I haven't let go the slightest. "I do care for you." to show Regan how I truly felt.

"Such a care that you give to a friend, not a lover." he bitterly muttered. His voice hinted a years' worth of pain I yearned to heal; to heal with my words of affection towards him. "But that is not of importance right now." he finished dismissively.

"Julliane he-" I protested "He could wake up!"

"No, I have to tell you what I have recalled during my past lifetime..."

He broke from our embrace. And with a wave of his hand, the scenery had changed.

We were back to the night where it had all happened.

"The night where you killed Julianne" I whispered. My eyes landed on a girl walking on the rough path, on the way of going home. Golden locks were bouncing off her back, falling mid-way to her hips, as Rose was walking hurriedly towards home.

It was me.

She looked worried. I remember myself feeling the same uncertainty of something following my footsteps during my way home.

"That was not the entire story" Regan said "Julianne always had a way of twisting words to favor himself" he said with a grunt "I know that now". His mouth pressed in a tight line.

"What do you mean?"

With another wave of his hand, the scenery had changed into one where I lay behind the tree, meters away from the scene. He and Julianne were fighting neck to neck only a few distance away.