‡Chapter 6 - Pleasantly Annoying Acquaintance‡

"I seem to have loved you in numberless forms, in numberless times, in life after life, in age after age forever" - Tagore

James Gordon as Reid Forester :) ^^^^^^^^^

"Oh Reid! You startled me!!" a said with a small laugh.

It was Reid, the Vilgrain Manor gardener. Glasses are always perched up in his nose and, unlike Dianne, wrinkles are evident in his face showing signs of aging. Graying hairs are also visible in his head. For me, Reid had an aura of a father, always have.

I've known him for as long as I can remember and as he to my eighteen years. Aside from Dianne, he was there to help me with my duties. Either cleaning up the lush garden or fixing up the tools in the garden shed.

"And they have a lot, and I mean a lot, of baggage." he continued, rather distastefully "it would seem like they are living here with the amount of belongings they brought along." he continued.

Obviously, I was not the only one to judge.

"Maybe they are staying here longer than expected." I offered "You know how they are"

"Perhaps... Here they come." A coach had stopped in front of the manor. "Come along, help me with the carrying."

"Aye Reid....Those are a lot of baggage, aren't they?"

"I told you." he said smugly.

I took the biggest one I could carry, and surprisingly, it weighs like paper. I suppose there isn't anything inside. How else would you explain how I can lift this without breaking a sweat? I lifted another on my left hand, a smaller one. Empty as well.

What's with these empty cases?

I carried it on to the room I had prepared before, making sure to gently put it down to avoid any damages. I went down again to check on the visitors. You could say I'm a curious little thing. I struggled to push past the other servants as they went about transferring the cargoes, which I have noticed are also composed of wine, fine silk, and other foreign goods.

Business is business.

The thing is, I know nothing about the guests. All I know is that they are coming, and they are coming this weekend. Other information was not given to me by Dianne, and I may be curious a creature, but I don't gossip around with other servants. I'm not like that and I prefer to discover things on my own.

It keeps the thrill of exploring interesting.

And dangerous.

Besides, I was only accustomed to a few of the others here, including Dianne and Reid, I couldn't just walk up to them and say "Hey! Would you like to engage in a lively gossip?"

Yup, I didn't think so either.

Another carriage pulled up in front snapping me out of my thoughts. The other carriage was for cargoes and goods only, this one was for transportation.

As the coachman hoe-d, the horse pulled to a stop which in turn the carriage did as well. I felt a mixture of excitement and nervousness as the door to the carriage slowly opened. I first saw a woman's shoe emerge and step down from the coach.

It belonged to one of noble blood, as clearly seen in the way she dressed and walked once she emerged from the coach. It was a middle-aged woman, probably in her late thirties. She wore a beautiful but heavily layered dress, and from the looks of it, she was struggling to even stand in the thing. She had blonde locks that fall just above her waistline, thick lashes framing her green eyes, and plump, rosy lips. Her neck was adorned with an emerald pendant and ears with emerald earrings, which both compliment her eyes. She was beautiful and she has the elegance to match it.

Did she dress this fancy for the master? A sense of jealousy rose from within me. I was shocked because, believe it or not, I had never gotten jealous about something... Only now it was about someone...

A man followed. It might be her husband with the way he assisted her in walking. As I've told you, she's not doing so well. He looks slightly older than her, maybe in his early forties? I wasn't exactly keen on information. He had dark brown hair, and a well groomed mustache. It was styled devilishly to perfection that you can't even see any stray hairs anywhere. Blue eyes, aristocratic nose, which contradicts his wife's button ones, and thin lips. You could tell from the glint in his eyes and the smirk grazing his lips that he was quite the ladies' man back in the days, now he only has his eyes set on one woman.

"Regan!" the man had suddenly shouted. "Get down this instant! You know how impolite it is to keep our associates waiting!" the man had finished with a scolding tone.

"Yes father, I did not mean to offend." A voice coolly replied from inside the coach."Though father dearest, even if I did, what can they do?" it laughed smugly. Judging by the tone of the voice it was a male's. "We are partners after all."

By this time the housekeepers are out of the way and there was only me and the guests. I guess I was too preoccupied to notice them leave. A boot emerged from the coach entrance followed by a body, and finally a head.

Golden locks covered his head, unruly but nonetheless stylish. Brown eyebrows, blue eyes, and lips like cherries. I meant it for the color, but I guess you could say it's the same with the taste.

I can imagine it, so to say, sweet.

His gaze landed on me and I quickly hid behind the post I was subconsciously clinging to like a chimpanzee. He probably did not see me right? I thought I saw a ghost of a smirk there before I hid. Maybe I just imagined it. He was handsome, but a bit too arrogant for my liking.

"Come Regan honey, your father is growing impatient." they were his parents.

They were his parents, therefore she was already wedded to him. I stated in my head, while my eyes pointed them out one by one. And thus producing him. Strangely, that seems to put me at ease.

"Go along mother. Father can never be madder at me. When has he never been mad at me!" he had a hint of amusement lacing his voice. I peeked again to see his mother turning to leave, clearly defeated.

I went back behind one of the pillars.

"Much like his father indeed" she mumbled, her steps echoing in the marble floors."So stubborn"

Where is Dianne? I haven't seen her all day. Although I was preoccupied with a lot of duties for the whole day, I could have at least seen her once. But I haven't.

"I'm sure this time will be no different!!" He shouted after his mother.

I have to look for her. I turned to leave my position but imagine my surprise when I bumped into a hard surface, later discovering it was someone's chest.

A certain arrogant someone.

"Oompfh Sweet honey marmalade!!" I struggled to remain calm. "Pardon me Master Regan!!I did not mean to crash into you, my lord"

He had a goofy grin on his face "I don't know about you, but I'm not at least bit sorry for bumping into a beautiful damsel" I shifted nervously under his calculating gaze "What is your name fair lady?" he inquired cheekily.

I scoffed mentally but I kept my head down, my gaze dropping to my plain shoes "I am truly sorry my lord, but I have to go, my lord. I have to find someone immediately and it cannot wait" I was flattered with his compliment, I truly am, but I wasn't stupid not to know there can't be anything more than that. It was a waste of time encouraging the flower to bloom, only to see it wilt. They were of noble blood after all.

A lady of my standing can never be with someone like him. We aren't even allowed to talk.

"Goodbye master" I bowed hastily, turning to leave.

"But-" he wasn't quite finished when a booming voice interrupted him.

"France Regan Grimoire!!!! I told you to come here!!!" It was his father authoritative voice. I took this as a chance to sneak in the back door leading to the kitchen, while he was still distracted.

O��KU]�