‡Chapter 2 - Encounter‡

"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting; The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star, Hath had elsewhere its setting. And cometh from afar." —William Wordsworth  

Tilda Swinton as Dianne Bowler :)^^^^^^^

I was now sat at the wooden chair Dianne was sitting on a while ago and drank the remaining coco in my cup. It was cold now. I found my cold coco a better coco than a hot one. After finishing my cup, I cleaned the kitchen, as part of my last duty, and proceeded to finish my remaining tasks. It was still early into the night and I still need to fix the guestroom upstairs for the upcoming visitors this weekend. It was weird for Dianne to just take a leave like that. And besides, it was too early to retire for the night, so where was she going?

I went up the stairs, my steps making a tapping noise on the marble staircase. A few turns and I could already see the guestroom. Just a few more turns and it's the master's bedroom, but I knew I was not allowed there, Dianne had stressed so many times. She never told me why though.

Entering the guest room I started to replace the sheets, taking my time to tuck each one neatly under the mattress after. I also replaced the flowers for the vases, discarding the dried ones into the bin.

I dusted up the place as well, making sure was nose was fairly covered. We don't want a sneezing chambermaid around here.

I just need to replace the curtains and I'm done. I turned and walked out the door, remembering to lock it before leaving downstairs and into the servants' quarters. When I went to lie on my small bed, I was so tired that when my head hit the pillow, I fell asleep instantly.

15th December, 1642

Everything was hazy, but I can see I'm in a garden.

I know I'm in a garden. It's filled with flowers of all kind.

They were all frozen though, yet still so beautiful. If not, even more.

These all feel so real. Am I dreaming?

My feet weren't cold even though the ground was frozen. How fascinating.

"Hello Eli." It was a smooth, velvety voice. A man's, judging by the deep baritone. Whose, I was not sure.

This is confusing, I was barefooted on the snow, but I don't feel the coldness of the snow on the soles of my feet, but decided that I don't mind. It actually felt nice.

"Hello, sir." I curtsied as he took my right hand to kiss. "How did you know my name?"

"I've been watching you Eli." he leaned in close to my ear "You sparked up my interest in more ways than you can, ever, ever, imagine."

I shivered with the tone of his voice.

"W-who are you?" I wasn't scared, just uncertain."Show yourself, I-I can't see you very well-"

"Oh my darling Eli, I believe the question is who you are." He whispered close to my ear, lips slightly brushing my earlobe. He turned to leave. I tried to catch up with him, but my feet were stuck to the ground. When I looked down, my feet were frozen as ice surrounded the entirety of it. How did I-

Finally knowing I'm not going anywhere, I just settled on shouting "I'm Ramses Olivia Seraphine Elizabeth, and you kind sir is-"I shouted before he can leave. A deep chuckle followed.

He paused, and turning his body replies "Interested in you"

I jolted awake with a feeling of longing in my chest. A feeling of melancholy fell upon me, shocking me with its intensity. I never felt a strong need to know something as strong as this. I wanted to continue that dream and see where it leads to.

Whatever, or whomever, that was, it felt good to be there.

Maybe I was just so tired last night? Maybe I'll come back later that night and see him again.

"Happy 18th birthday love!!" I was too preoccupied that I didn't notice Dianne enter our quarters. We share a room and sleep on the same dainty bed. It was plain, but it was more than cozy.

"And as promised, your gift is here" her hair was tied in a neat, simple bun and she had a big smile plastered on her face. How is she so punctual in the morning? It's only four in the morning, and the light was just beginning to appear at the horizon.

"Did you forget your own birthday?" she inquired, amusement lining her features "You did, didn't you?"

"No Dianne, it's just-" I stifled a yawn "It's too early, don't you think?"

"There's no such thing as "too early" Eli darling" she handed me a small package "You know what they say, "the early bird gets the worm""

"But Dianne, we don't eat worms." I countered "Well I don't"

"Shush child! What are you- never mind" she now too had a smile forming upon her lips. "Go on Elizabeth, take it." she urged.

It was wrapped in floral paper, a ribbon forming an x at the back and front, stopping at the middle to create an elegant bow. It was beautiful.

"Thank you Dianne"

"You are most welcome" she stood up from my bed and stopped at the door, holding the knob "I'll leave you to open that, head downstairs after you're done."

"Yes, Dianne." I confirmed.

"Okay." and she left, closing the door behind her "don't be long" she added, and she was gone.

Dianne gave me gifts every year for my birthday. They were, per se, the best gifts her money can afford. How much is her salary, anyway?

Remind me to ask her that later...

I have a feeling this year will be different though. It's just that strange feeling you have that somehow, things are about to change.

Maybe I felt it in the wind?