‡Chapter 5 - Summer Guests‡

"Important encounters are planned by the souls long before the bodies see each other" - Paulo Coelho

16th December, 1642

I was at the park now. But I'm all alone.

Well not entirely alone if you count the ducks on the pond and the birds in the sky. But that was all they are. Birds.

What I meant was, I was the only person here. Yes, alone in a park supposedly filled with presence.

It feels good here. I can feel the sun's rays on my skin, the sweet blow of the wind through my body, and the exciting feeling like you're- being watched.....

An even better feeling when you know the person watching you is somewhat, amused.

"Such a dazzling creature..." it cooed "You blind me with your beauty! I find it odd how the gods have favored me today, sending such a creature to my realm!" It was a different man; his voice higher than the first one to occupy my dreams.

His features are a little clearer than the man before. He had scarlet hair and sharp angles. He had long lashes framing his Ruby eyes, and eyebrows that are thick enough to match his hair.

Red as well, only darker.

"I believe I haven't introduced myself." he said emerging; he took my hand in his and placed a light kiss. His lips were soft and warm against the back of my hand. His lips lingered in my hand longer than usual, that I felt uncomfortable, so I pulled my hand back carefully.

"I believe you haven't." I replied.

I noticed I was wearing a floral dress, apparently in summer. I was so daring in my dreams.

"My lady, you tease me so. Allow me to introduce myself." He placed his hand on his midsection "I am, Nicholai my lady. Nicholai Summers" he did an elegant bow, his upper body swooping down towards the ground.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Sir Nicholai." I gave a little giggle as a thought crossed my mind. I curtsied. I can't help it, another giggle escaped my lips.

"Why do you giggle so, my lady?"his eyebrows were scrunched adorably together. Now that I really looked at him, he was quite handsome. My cheeks heated, remembering we were the only ones here.

"Because the scenery suits your name very well Mr. Summers" I replied too his earlier question. My hands went to my mouth to prevent producing more of the girlish sounds.

"Oh darling Elizabeth, I am summer" he chuckled "Without me, you people would be freezing to death! I keep the eternal balance in the world." He went nearer, now at an uncomfortable distance. "Well at least in his world" he mumbled quietly.

"Of course I'll let you live" he whispered in my ear "We don't want our dear Eli turned into a Popsicle by my brother, now do we?" a roar of laughter followed.

I woke up at my side, my head no longer occupying the pillow.

My neck hurts.

I don't remember much of my dream, but I know I've dreamt of something. Birds. I was at the park. There was this man..... Summer....

That's all I can remember...

I looked at the clock on the wall, it was six o'clock in the morning. Just enough time to bathe and dress. The guests are coming here today at eleven o'clock. I remember Dianne telling me they were of noble blood and is seeking to trade goods with the master. Seeing as the older Vilgrains are absent from the manor, she was pertaining to the younger Vilgrain.

Part of the young master's training, if ever to turn over the family business, is to know the connections and the goods your partners can provide.

If you ask me, it's all so..... Bore some. Imagine travelling far, just to talk to a man you barely know. Enduring long, boring, business talks. Agreeing to things you barely even agree to in the first place. And at the end of the day, you have to muster up a fake smile, just so they won't kill you in your sleep while you stay at their manor. Imagine that and tell me that it is not, boring.

I truly honor those kind of people who do such for the sake of "business".

At the end of my long rant, I have completed my morning routine, cooked breakfast for me and Dianne. I had also talked to Delilah, the Vilgrain Manor head cook, for the food preparations. And now, I was standing at the door, waiting patiently for the guests to arrive along with the other servants available at the moment. And I must say, I am quite disappointed that they lack punctuality.

A row rumbling of continues ding had sounded throughout the entire manor. It was the grandfather clock signaling twelve o'clock in the afternoon.

They are late.

They were supposed to arrive at eleven, as Dianne had informed. I wonder what kept them? But more importantly, I wonder how the master is doing? Is he perhaps, I don't know, waiting patiently in his bed?

Stark naked.

Heavens! If Dianne were to hear my thoughts! Get a hold of yourself and snap out of it! Focus at the task at hand Elizabeth! Focus.

"They are here" said a gruff voice.