Chapter Seventy

🌻Hey, gorgeous! You can read this episode and much more of DOCTOR-PATIENT CONFIDENTIALITY and other sizzling web series from Emended Hearts at www.EmendedHearts.com or click the external link at the bottom of the page.🌻

💗💗💗

I come face to face with my best friend, and in true Trixie style, she wastes no time at all in chewing me out. "What the hell!" she says, raising her hands dramatically for emphasis. "I've been calling your ass since class was over, you little tramp. And now you have all these asshats walking around and looking at me like I'm this crazy bitch who enjoys talking to herself really loudly in public!" she adds with a frown, her complaint clear in her tone and in the way her whiskey eyes are looking at me.

"Oh. Sorry, I didn't hear you," is my incredibly bland, unenthused response. But at least it's the truth.

I must look as somber as I feel, because her expression quickly changes, going from mildly annoyed to fairly concerned. Her gaze softens and her brows draw closer as she cocks her head slightly. "Are you alright?" she says. "You look kinda pale. Are you sick?"

Immediately, my nose burns and my throat constricts and I feel the sting of hot, oncoming tears at the back and corners of my eyes, threatening to spill and tumble out of me like an uncontrollable river. Somehow, I resist the overwhelming urge to nod adamantly as I look at her, feeling my chest tighten to the point of pain, as if it physically wants to crush my heart. I feel traces of a barely suppressed sob quickly rise to the surface, dancing at the back of my throat and on the verge of tearing out of me. I struggle to contain the rogue tears that are quickly pooling in my eyes as I continue to look at her.

Yes. Yes, I'm sick. I just found out yesterday. And they said I...I could...I could have...it. I don't understand. This whole time and I didn't know. How could I have not known?! I could be dying. I'm so scared, Trix. I don't want to die. God, I don't know what to do. Please help me.

I so desperately want to say all those things to her, knowing my words would probably be incoherent while trying to voice thoughts that are jumbled up and all over the place through a stream of wails and gross, snotty sniffs. Still, I want to fall into her arms, bury my face in her neck, and just cry my heart out and tell her everything that's going on.

Instead, I swallow several times and blink back my unshed tears quickly, hoping that my glasses can shield the glazed appearance of my eyes from her.

"Nah, I'm fine. Just a little tired, that's all," I say, trying to sound as sincere as possible. "I didn't really get a lot of sleep last night." The last part is true. The rest of it is straight up bull, but I know she'll buy it. She has no reason not to.

Besides, if I do tell her, I might as well be opening Pandora's Box. As much as I need to talk to someone about this, I also have to be smart. I definitely can't tell Gran. I won't. Not in her condition. I just can't put her through any more stress. And I can't realistically tell Trixie, either, no matter how much I really want to. She'll start asking questions; a lot of which I don't have answers for, and others which I know I'd never be able to look her in the eyes after answering. Knowing myself, I'll most likely end up telling her about Frost and his contract, too. I just can't open that can of worms, especially not now.

Plus, I'm still trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to explain to Gran how I got the money to cover her medical bills and debts. When I signed that contract, I figured I'd worry about that aspect of things when the time came and that I'd just take things one day at a time and cross various bridges whenever I got there. But now, I'm left wondering if I'll even cross any of those said bridges.

Trixie's expression quickly morphs again, the corners of her lips lifting into a wicked grin as her eyes narrow at me curiously, utter mischief shining through their golden-brown hue.

"Gee, I wonder what could've kept you up like that on a school night, Roni," she says, her tone leading and teasing, as if she's trying to insinuate something, her eyes probing, searching for an answer in my tired ones. When I remain silent, unsure of where she's going with this and afraid of what I might end up saying, she raises her eyebrow, the corner of her lip still upturned in mischief. "It wouldn't happen to start with a Jamie and end with a Wrighton, would it?"

There's a full blown smile on her face now, her perfect teeth showing through the curtains of her signature vampy lipstick.

I can only let out a tired, frustrated sigh. I seriously don't even have the energy for a verbal response. I can't believe this chick. So much for wanting to ball my eyes out. Now all I want to do is roll the bejesus out of them at her latest mention of Jamie "The Almighty" Wrighton.

But she doesn't even wait for an answer. In fact, I'm not sure it was an actual question. "I've been meaning to ask you about your coffee date but I've barely seen you around lately. Oh my God, you have to fill me in. What the hell happ—"

"Look, Trix, I gotta go. I'm gonna be late for work," I say brushing her off, unable and unwilling to hide how annoyed I am with her constant badgering and rambling on this particular issue. My excuse of being late for work is a total lie. I haven't been back to work at the Mushroom since the day I signed Frost's contract, but I just need to be by myself right now. Plus, I have absolutely no patience or desire to deal with yet another one of her "You should totally fuck the school quarterback!" campaigns. I just can't take it right now. I just can't.

I turn and leave before she can say anything else, but not before I catch the surprised expression on her face, her eyes wide and her mouth slightly ajar from being cut off mid-sentence. She definitely looks shocked, and possibly a little bit hurt, but I'll have to worry about her feelings later. I have too much else to contend with right now. Besides, she'll get over it. She always does.

I only wish I could say the same for myself in my current situation.

***

Hey, again! We'll post one chapter every Friday, but there are currently over 140 chapters in Season One, so this may take a while. If you just can't wait, you can read this episode and much more of DOCTOR-PATIENT CONFIDENTIALITY and other sizzling web series at www.EmendedHearts.com or click the external link below.

👇🏿👇🏽👇🏼

Sign up for our Love Letter on our website www.EmendedHearts.com/Love-Letter. Your support is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading! And don't forget to vote, share and comment! Love ya :).

XOXO,

Eme and the hearts at EmendedHearts