07. 𝐫𝐞𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐭, 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐲𝐚𝐥, 𝐬𝐚𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐰𝐚𝐫.ᐟ

[ too oblivious ]

❛you have spent your entire life making sacrifices for me

you have spent your entire life making sacrifices for me. now it's my turn to do it for you.

PHAEDRA HAD ALWAYS REGRETTED the day her mother had sent her to camp half-blood. she didn't regret that she's found her people— friends who she hoped would be hers forever, since that day she'd found annabeth and she was forever grateful for her, but that day, was also her worst. phaedra felt great remorse that sucked her into a pit of despair and rage over her mother's disappearance— or death as some might say, it was haunting her, she always thought that she might have been able to save her life but didn't. because she was too weak— maybe her father was right.

phaedra never talked about it to anyone because she knew if she ever did— it would end with her hating herself more. all she ever felt was regret. and she would do anything to prevent that set of circumstances from happening again. phaedra would never let anything happen to her friends— she would sacrifice, sacrifice, sacrifice.

short version, she took a big hit on the incident and was bound to not make it happen again. with her life.

"it's 360 feet wide, 360 feet tall, both to within an inch." annabeth explained proudly as the four walked towards athena's infamous arch. "it's got no internal support, each side is balanced perfectly against the other. the arch is held up by symmetry, it's held up by math."

"and it's earthquake proof, so poseidon can't ruin it." annabeth looked over at percy.

"it's so...wow." phaedra gushed at the sight; the arch stood tall as the sunlight reflected off of it, just like it did athena's personality, beautiful and strong, full of wisdom. not only it was pretty— it could also keep them safe. 'nice' doesn't cut it if you'd describe the temple.

"nice." percy shrugged nonchalantly.

the quartet entered the building unwillingly pushing past people further into the sanctuary, phaedra quickly reached for a hand so that she doesn't get drowned within the sea of people, fortunately it was percy's hand she took.

"this is how you show athena your love, a monument to the power of perfection." annabeth scolded the thought that people didn't appreciate her mother.

"it's a monument, to some other stuff too." grover spoke as he stood by a display showcasing animal skulls.

"you're talking about what some humans want this place to be about, i'm talking about what it actually is." annabeth argued.

"whatever. we're safe here right?"

"no monsters can enter, not even echidna. we're safe here."

"great. well, since our train exploded, i'm gonna see if there's another one we can get tickets on." grover reported. "we can't stay here forever. just because we're prey doesn't mean we need to be helpless."