Another First Date

On Saturday, Re staked out Lorenzo's villa, unable to just sit with his rotten feelings. The one date Re had forced upon Margherita, in November, pretty much tricking her into it, had been a disaster.

Finally, around one, Lorenzo left for his stupid date. However, Luca didn't follow him. He hadn't had a definite plan but certainly didn't want to see the lovebirds together. His imagination was already doing an excellent job of portraying what a good time they'd have. Even the weather had been cooperating for their get-together. The April sun was warm and bright.

Margherita would not be three hours late, and Lorenzo would not be sick, nor they would get stuck in a subway station during a blackout.

They would probably hold hands.

Kiss.

Fall in love, like normal people did.

Crushed, he loitered the sidewalk, lost in his thoughts, losing all sense of time, but unable to leave.

Margherita loved exiting the subway at the Duomo on a sunny day; the marble cathedral seemed like a cutout against the blue sky

Lorenzo was already waiting, somewhat hidden behind sunglasses and an uncharacteristic baseball hat

Lorenzo was already waiting, somewhat hidden behind sunglasses and an uncharacteristic baseball hat. Still, quite a few people stole glances his way, phones at hand, if not recognizing him, surely identifying the unmistakable aura of fame and money.

Margherita beamed. "Hey, you cut your hair!"

Lorenzo caressed the short fuzz at the back of his head. He'd left it long on top, similarly to Sam. "It was getting out of hand. Cute outfit."

"Thanks!" She twirled in her gray jeans miniskirt with leggings and a white hoodie. "This style suits you; you look great!"

He blushed, looking away. "Thanks."

"Can I touch it?"

He nodded, taken aback by how comfortable she was around him. He leaned forward; she smelled like vanilla. When she rubbed the back of his head, he shivered, thoughts immediately ripening with desire. He hadn't been with anyone since Ludo, on the previous summer, except for making out with people he had not cared about. The experience had been strange and a turn off.