Hell Dates

Mauro, ashen, returned to the library. Laura's unexpected breakup weighed heavy on his soul.

"What happened?" Margherita straightened on the couch, absorbing his distress. 

Mauro ran a hand through his already wild hair, but he just shook his head. 

Margherita mumbled, "It's okay if you cry."

Mauro's eyes grew glossy with unshed tears. "She broke up with me."

"Why?!"

He just shook his head again, looking out the window. "She needs space or something."

Margherita's rage flared. "After a year, that's all you get? Oh, come on!"

"Right?!" He wiped a tear.

Margherita was about to launch in a tirade about how shallow Laura could be but thought better of it. "Wanna ask Chiara? She's amazing with this stuff."

Mauro shrugged and, since no one else was in the library, Marghe called, put Chiara on speaker, and brought her up to speed.

"Did you ask her what changed?" Chiara inquired

Mauro bit his lip. "Honestly, I was so shocked I just left."

"Well, how do you feel about her?"

Mauro stared at the spines of books much older than his grandparents. "I—I don't know."

"Well, maybe neither does she. What happened right before she broke up with you?"

"I—She saw me hugging Margherita."

"Ooooh," Chiara said in a knowing voice. "Jealousy. She realized she might have feelings for you."

Mauro frowned. "Really? Why did she break up then? This makes no sense."

"Wasn't your arrangement not to get feelings? Maybe she got scared."

Mauro hid his face into his hands. "What do I do?"

"Well, that's up to you, but I'd say get clarity on your own feelings, first. If this was just a friendship with benefits, maybe she's right; time to end it, but if you have feelings for her, well, go all out, right?"

Mauro thanked her. Maybe some space from Laura was not a bad idea after all.

 Maybe some space from Laura was not a bad idea after all